Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

no entry sign on boot up

Customer Question

no entry sign on boot up
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm right, you are getting this picture :
graphic

Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes this is the picture i am seeing.

I have used a number of other on line forums answers to reboot but nothing has worked so far

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Could you please post about What you had already tried ?

(So that i don't need to write/repeat that answer and we can save time)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Control-Alt P + R held down until 3 apple start up chimes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..thats the PRAM and NVRAM reset...

Just two more questions..

Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks ?

When did this problem started ? (After Software Update, Force Shutdown etc)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am unsure whether i have the OS X disks here (will check in 2 minutes) but the crash happened during normal working (internet, email etc) i was not updating or forcing shutdown) everything just hung
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
This problem usually occurs when a system file or folder has been moved, replaced, or damaged by software update, improper shutdown, software crash etc

You need the Mac OS X Installation/restore disks to solve this issue. The best way to solve this issue is reinstallation of Mac OS X. However, we can try some other troubleshooting steps and see if they can solve the problem.

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

or

Run Disk Utility from Single User Mode

Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple or Alt) key and the S keys at the same time.

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Restart in SafeMode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

If all the above doesn't solved the problem, then you have to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i now have the installation disks and have followed the above, how long shoudl the should the spinning wheel spin?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
What procedure are you doing now ? (Safe Mode or Disk Utility)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When i restarted the machine, holding C down, it has now just gone into a grey screen with the same symbol as above but with a spinning wheel has been like this for around 5 mins, there was no offer for either safe or disk utility.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Eject the disk and try Safe Mode first : (Eject Disk = Re-start your Mac and Press and hold the eject key or left mouse button till the disk comes out)

Restart in SafeMode

Let me know how it goes...
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
If SafeMode doesn't worked then try this :

Boot from the Mac installation disk 1..

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the "OPTION (Windows key)" key. Release the key when you see the startup manager. You can see the CD drive icon or Mac OS X installation disk in the window. Select it and press "Return or enter" key. Now your Mac will boot into Mac OS X startup disk. Then follow my above suggestion...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK i have now followed all the suggestions above, should i now try and install OS X?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
If other suggestion doesn't worked then do a Archive and Install. I hope Archive and install will solve your issue.

Best Regards,