Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

In Mac OSX, I was re-installing tiger. the 2nd dvd is scratched

In Mac OSX, I was re-installing tiger. the 2nd dvd is scratched and i need to quit the instillation, but i cant acess force quit. How do i quit the insitllation?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
The only way is to hold the power button until the machine turns off. This is a bad idea because the second disk is needed to finish the install.
You may get lucky and still be able to start the machine up from the DVD or it may be that it will have installed all the OS and only lacks the extras.
Your better move is (if the scratch is in the bottom and not the gray side) is to go to Wal-Mart or a video game store and get Disk Doctor, this will polish the disk and make it useable.
That is my best advice.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dan. Yeah i already tried that.And evertime i restart it needs the 2nd disk to finish. I also tried cleaning the disk. What i want to know is there a command or process to abort the install? If i can just start over again I have the Leopard install disk and will use that, but I have to get out of this install first

Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Your only choice is the power button. Do not just unplug it that will really mess it up. Press and hold the power until it goes off.
If it is asking for the second disk then the drive is empty. Start it up and hold the 'Option' key down. You should get the start up manager. Insert the Leopard disk and if it doesn't show then click the round arrow on the left to refresh.
If not then just insert the Leopard disk and let the Mac find it. If you are lucky and the Mac fells like cooperating the install screens will appear.
Let me know.