Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

About three days ago, my 03 iMac Power PC had a minor crash.

Customer Question

About three days ago, my '03 iMac Power PC had a minor crash. The Hard Drive icon is still there. I was able to recover some of our documents from the previous system folder. I cannot open Apple Mail because the original program is missing. I used the Disc Utility to check the Hard Drive. I ran the verification and there were a few permissions that were repaired. The program stated the status of the HD was good. I tried a few times to start the computer from the original disk [Tiger]. I presently have v.10.4.11. When I started the computer, [with the original disc], I held don the C key.
Every time I would get a message that I have to restart the computer, so I wasn't able to reinstall the program. I hope you can help.
Thank you, Marianne
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Does it look like any of the pics below?

Please let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It looks like the second image. -Marianne
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
OK. Kernel panics are most often hardware related. Unplug all external devices except the keyboard and mouse then try a startup.
If that is all you have connected when this happens then I ask have you added RAM?
Or any other device?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I still got the same message and had to eject the disc by holding down the mouse.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
What is with that long line of c's?
Since you are getting that regardless of how you start it then there is not much I can do from here but for one more thing.
Using the install disk that came with the machine (must be the original) start up holding the 'D' key down. This boots to the Hardware test. Should it be successful then do the fast test first and see if iy finds anything. If it does not then do the extended test. It should find something that has gone wrong.
Let me know.