Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I need to change the admin password in single user mode on

I need to change the admin password XXXXX single user mode on a 10.3.5 system. how do i do that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I do and I have tried to use the disk to "open" the computer, but the progess bar gets about 3/4 of the way across then just sits there. I left it that way for abut 2 hours the other evening.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry i didn't understand your answer...

Are you able to log-in to your Mac ?

Is it just freezes in the blue screen with the spinning wheel ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no I have forgot the admin password

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You can't reset your admin password XXXXX Single User Mode, but you can create new admin account. Before trying to reset in Single User Mode, try this again.

First eject the disk...

• Restart your mac and immediately hold down the "eject" key on your keyboard untill the disc comes out.
  • Restart your mac and immediately hold down the left mouse button before the chime sound/grey screen appears. Keep it held down untill the disk comes out.

Then insert the disk 1 again and start from it...
  • Start up from a Mac OS X Install disc. Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
  • Choose Reset Password from the Installer/Utilities menu
  • Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.Select the user name of your original administrator account
  • Enter a new password XXXXX Click Save.

Let me know how it goes....

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry this is waht I have been trying and it does not work becasue the start up disk does not get to the Reset password XXXXX
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
There are two methods to obtain the lost password XXXXX than using Disks...one is change the password XXXXX other one is create new account.

(The second method i.e Create new account is not a good method, the bad is it may delete some of your applications)

So you can try the first method and if it didn't work then you have to do the second method.

Method 1
Boot up your computer while holding Command Apple + S - this will take you into single user mode. At the prompt type: /sbin/mount -uw /
Then, type: passwd username (remember : "username" is the name of the account for which you want to set the password. eg : passwdCustomer

You will then be asked to type the password XXXXX (You will not see anything on the screen as you type the password)

Once that's done, type: reboot

Method 2

If it didn't work then here is what you will need to do:

• Reboot your Mac
  • Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.
  • When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should have a brand new Administrator account.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc