Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

hello. i have a 13 macbook pro and recently it froze so i

Customer Question

hello. i have a 13" macbook pro and recently it froze so i restarted it by holding down the powere button. when it came back on it is just stuck at the apple logo with the spinning wheel. i put in a install dvd and i used disk first aid and it said it was fine and i tried to reinstall the software but it wont let me do it. what should i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Please try this

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i did this and it still just is stuck on the same screen.........
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

What I would like for you to do is to go back to the Installer and run it again.

When you get to the page where it says you cannot install, click once on your Hard Drive icon and then click on the Options button below that.

In here choose Archive & Install as the method and also make sure to check Preserve Users & Settings. Very important.

Then, close that and go on with the install.

When it finishes, and restarts, you will have a new OS X version but all your files and stuff will be untouched.

Now, go to the Apple Menu and choose Software Update. Run that over and over, restarting when needed, until it says you are up to date.

Please do not try to run any apps or go on the web. There is still a version mis-match and you need to finish Software Update completely first.

When Software Update syas you are finished, you can go back to work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i will try that again. i have tried that before. what happens is it goes through all that and then begings the installation but then it says it failed.. im in afghanistan so i cant take it to someone. what happens if i cant update it? i only have acces to the internet on a desktop computer provided to us?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

If it fails after starting the install, but the disk repair indicated drive is good, then the drive may actually be failing and Disk Utility cannot see that.

But if it is not gettin to the install, then we need to look at that.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok well how can i do that?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do what?

You did not indicate whcih way it fails.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it says it cannot be installed on the volume which is my hardrive.......thats all it says. it gives the option to restart the computer.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Click once on the Hard Drive icon and then click the Options button.

Does it give you a Archive & Insstall option?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but thats what im saying i click that and then i click install and it checks the disk and then begins the install and a minute or two after it starts a window pops up and says that the install failed.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Oh,

It's not it cannot install, it just fails to finish.

Ok, do you have your stuff backed up?

Because the only way I see this working is if you erase the hard drive and do a clean install of OS X. It shopuld install OK after that.

But it will erase the drive and anything on it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok and how do i do that? i do not but i can transfer my stuff onto my friends computer with a firewire cant i?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes, as long as the disk is OK and you can access it.

Do you know how to do Target Disk Mode?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah just hold down "t" right?
and how would i do a clean install?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yep.

Ok, it is easy to do, just have to jump into Disk Utility first after running the Installer.

Once the Installer is up and you are at the install destination page, go to the Menu bar at the top of the screen and choose Disk Utility from one of the Menus up there.

In Disk Utility (DU) click on your hard drive and then on the Partition tab. Make sure to choose the upper name, not the indented volume name.

In the Partition tab, click on Current menu and choose 1 Partition.

Give your Drive a name and then click on Partition.

Agree to erase everything and then wait.

When it finishes, quit DU and the Installer will be there again.

Click on your Disk. It should be available now, and then continue the Install.

See how that works out. If successful, run Software Update as many times as needed to get up to date before bringing your stuff back over. Make sure to create the Admin user the exact same way.... same short name, same account name, same password(s) and it will be a little easier.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting