Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My I-Mac lately has been getting the color-wheely quite often

My I-Mac lately has been getting the color-wheely quite often and for several minutes. I've tried dumping old files and then tried first aid which diagnosed my hfs volume needs repair. However, I can find nothing which that shows how that is done, nor am I sure that is the cause of the frequent color wheel. What next?
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey, If you work days, I do have the install disks.
Try these troubleshooting steps ;

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command(Apple)-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Restart in SafeMode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

If all the above doesn't solved the problem, then you have to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Two more questions. One, I have two instead of one start-up discs. Do I use both consecutively? Neither says restore.,just install, disc one and disc two. @nd question. I have a replacement keyboard. There is no "command" key. I have "ctrl" and a key with a wavy window, and an "alt" key. Tried ctrl and wavy window. Just golt the usual screen after start-up. Which discs and which keys do I use?
Good Questions...
Use Installation disk 1...

And for Archive and Install, Mac will ask you to insert Disk 2 when it fininished installing Disk 1.

Command(Apple) Key = Alt Key
Option Key = Windows key( yes the key with a wavy window)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
I bumbled along and re-installed both disks. When I went through my e-mail just now I got 0 spinning wheels. However, when I reinstalled the disks and anything else which looked like it might be related, It brought p the question of space on my computer. How do I know what to remove now? Or is that necessary?
Are you able to log-in to your Mac without any problems ?

And does the spinning wheel gone ?

Did you tried Archive and Install ?

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can log-in without any problems, spinning wheel gone except for a couple of web sites, normal I think while it processs. Did not do Arcive and Install. Where is that? Do I need to dump any files?
Does the issue occurs for only websites or while browsing internet ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Websites. Haven't tried browsing the internet recently.
Sorry for the delay...just do an Archive and Install and hopefully it will fix your problem.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry about the pay thing. How do I do and Archive and Install? Haven't had much time at my deak recently. Will try to resolve all soon.

Archive and Install : Plese click here

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok. You've more than earned your pay. Will work with the Archive and Install. Thanks for your help.
Thanks for Accepting my answer...I hope it will work ! Good Luck !Smile

Best Regards,