Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have comcast E mail. I saved a lot of old emails I wanted

Customer Question

I have comcast E mail. I saved a lot of old emails I wanted to folders Now it is all gone I want stuf dated back i March and April It is gone
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

What email client/application do you use?

Or did you use the website for email?

Do you keep backups off your Mac?

When did you notice the email missing and did anything different happen just before that? Mac acting funny?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I use for my e mail They let you set up folders which i, in error, as it turns out thought were permanent. I had stuff I wanted to keep indefinitely. I thought iy was safe. Then suddenly everything prior to August was gone. My ddaughter shares this computer with me but her E Mail is with APPLE. She has e mail bace over a year and nothing happens to her stuff. So I think it must be something COMCAST does. She found a spot where they had things set up with limits like 60 days or something. She changed every question to NEVER delete. I was not here when she did this and she does not know how she got to that screen or how to get back to it.

My problem is i really would like to have the missing information found and returned.
Is it possible to find and retrieve things the computer itself takes away? Thanks Thelma PS I am new to MAC I know how to save things on a PC HELP
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

If these were deleted, then they are gone.

All mail servers work in about the same way. You get an email into the server. trhen the email client requests all new mail and the server sends it down the line. If you ahve 'Leave mail on Server' set, the server leaves a copy and only sends a copy to the Mail application. If it is not set, the server then deletes the email after it is successfully received.

On your Mac, depending on whether it is IMAP or POP, the email will drop into the Inbox and any others that are set to copy mail from the inbox.

This may be the problem.

If you set these folders up on the server, then copy email into them they are at the mercy of Comcast and the server. They actually do not reside on your Mac unless copied to On My Mac folders.

I think at some point, either Comcast, or you may have inadvertently deleted these files.

There is no way to get them back except through backups and Comcast will not help in thats respect. Email is not like filing Word files in a folder. They simply go away.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I change my comcast email to apple e mail which my daughter has and if so HOWIf that is not the answer can yo tell me how I set up Permanent Folders to keep stoff Thelma
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Permanent folders and rules are the how you save your email from Comcast.

You set up a rule to copy your email, depending on subject, etc... and have it move to new folders, in Apple Mail, under the heading of On My Mac.

Then they will be permanently saved.

To get an Apple email you can change the account your daughter has to a Family account. A very much affordable choice to getting your own MobileMe account. Plus you get a couple of extra ones for other family members or for other uses.

Then just setup Mail to use that account and you are done. Mail saves everything.