MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

I have an iMac running 10.5.8 that was given to me. The person

Customer Question

I have an iMac running 10.5.8 that was given to me. The person who gave it to me created an account for me but it is only a standard account. They are out of the country for a week and I need to gain admin privileges. Is this possible without an install CD and with an EFI password XXXXX?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

I have a process here that may work as an alternative, since you do not have the Mac OS X Install disc in order to gain Administrator access.

To reset your OS X password XXXXX an Mac OS X CD or DVD (for Tiger and Leopard), you will need to enter Terminal and create a New Administrator Account:

Here is what you will need to do:
• Reboot your Mac
• Next hold Apple Command key + S key (Single User mode) down after you hear the Apple chime.

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following
terminal commands to create a brand new Admin account (hitting Return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new Administrator account.

** When you login as the to the new administrative account.

I hope this helps.

If you have any other questions regarding this issue, please feel free to reply back to this email, I am alway glad to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That does not work since I cannot enter single user mode because the previous owner has and EFI password XXXXX
Thanks for your replyCustomer I am sorry I forgot about the EFI Password XXXXX enabled.

I will be with you shortly, let me check my Mac resources database to confirm what I believe you are going to have to do in order to resolve this.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX post back to you soon!

Thanks for your patience.

I want to be able to bring you a resolution for this issue, however because this iMac is an Intel based processor computer with EFI, unlike the Open Firmware of the PowerPC processors of the legacy Macs.

With Open Firmware in the PowerPC processors, the open firmware password XXXXX be reset simply by shutting down the Mac and  either removing and reseating the RAM in a difference configuration back into the logic board.

With EFI, unfortunately Apple has not publized  any way to reset the EFI password. In fact the only way to get around a forgotten EFI Password, according to Apple is, to take the computer in to an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized reseller.

Thus, without a Mac OS X install disc, aside from not having the EFI password, there is no way to gain Administrator access.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Sincerest Regards,