MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I didnt get an answer. So I wont pay.

Customer Question

I didn't get an answer. So I won't pay.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.
I am just coming online, so I am not sure who assisted you,
but if you would still like to have you question answered, I will
be here to assist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What is you Mac techncial question?

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)

( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THe newest version -- Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and all updates have been installed. We also run iLife '09. iPhoto ver 8.1 crashes, and my wife is ticked off. Everything is backed up, so that's not an issue. She just prefers iPhoto, and the upgraded OS seems to be an issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I continue to wait? Seems like lots of internet chatter on this same issue (Mac-related forums). I don't see a solution.
Thank you for your reply and for entrusting me to assist you with your question.

I believe I have a few procedures which may help:

• From your desktop,
•Click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu bar, click on Go, then Home from the
drop-down menu. This will take you to your Home folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Preferences folder and open it.

• Locate and remove to the Trash, this file:
com.apple.iPhoto.plist

• Now click the back button in this same Finder window, until you see the Library
once again.

• Once you are back in the Library window, locate a folder entitled
Caches and remove it also to the Trash.

Once you have done this, close all windows and click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your window and from the drop down menu, select
Log Out .

This will simply take you to a main login window, showing all user accounts you currently have on your Mac.

From that screen, log back in to your main desktop.

• What this little process does is replaces the com.apple.iPhoto.plist and Caches folder with new copies of each.

Before you launch iPhoto to test if this application will work normally now,
I need you to perform just oen more procedure:

-RUN DISK UTILITY FIRST-

Go to Finder Menu bar
• Click Go > Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility app.
• Click on Macintosh HD volume (or on the name you have changed
this volume to.)
• Select "Repair Disk Permissions"
**Let Disk Utilities run this repair permissions until completion
- This is not often a necessary step, but in the many of the hands-on software and Mac OS X troubleshooting I have done on Macs, I almost always run it just because it does repair alot of the permissions on files which can sometimes affect how certain applications, files and folders work. It also improves your Mac's performance a bit too:)

Once Disk Utility is complete and there are no errors in red in the completion summary (if there are errors listed in red, re-run DU to see if those error will clear- if they don't reply back to this post right away and let me know what the exact error message is), quit Disk Utility.

• Now, attempt to relaunch iPhoto and see if it will launch and not crash.

Keep me posted, I will be waiting for your update. Thanks!

Regards,

-Terry
Sorry for that delay, however we cannot post simultaneously, so I had to wait for you then I could post.

That is what caused the delay.

-Thanks

-Terry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It didn't work. iPhoto 8.1 opens, then is 'not responding' after perhaps 10-20 secs. I followed your instructions to the letter. 2 library files after Disk Utility indicated 'not repaired'; however, were black text, not red.

I'm re-installing iLife '09 right now to see if that helps.

Any other ideas?
Hi againCustomer

Actually you have taken the next course I would suggest. This application is a fairly simple one to operate in (so long as it is working). So if removing the plist (Preferences list) and the Caches folder and running Disk Utility does not work, a remove and reinstall is the next best step.

So I am with you on your decision to reinstall iPhoto '09. I don't have a disc readily assessible for that application suite, but if I am not mistaken I think you can run a custom install from the iLife '09 disc without having to reinstall the entire suite.

If you could take a look at that and let me know that would be great. I will be here watching for your update.

Thanks,

-Terry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THe install is in progress. I did a regular install (everything overwritten, I assume) and not a custom. I also did not remove anything prior to the re-install. Is this a mistake? I'd be shot dead if removal of iPhoto resulted in lost pics!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Re-install did not work either. Decided to rebuild iPhoto Library.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It looks like I fixed it by having iPhoto rebuild all thumbnails, etc. While re-starting iPhoto, held down alt + command keys. A menu comes up and I selected all boxes -- rebuild everything. It took a while, but appears to be working perfectly, now.

Thanks for your advice, but it doesn't appear to have been on the right path.
Thanks for your insightCustomer but not quite accurate. What you are doing is per the Apple support procedures for their iPhoto software. The option to reinstall is just one option. It does not remove your photos just the master application files.

Again, you are moving progressively forward which is good, and that again would be the next step. I don't always go the route of rebuilding the iPhoto library without first removing the application then reinstalling, testing the relaunch and if that does not work, before I attempt a rebuilt as a last resort, I will make a duplicate of the iPhoto library to another folder or an another storage source like a dvd or an external hard drive and then I commence to do a rebuilt.

Chalk it up to past experience, but I have seen a few iPhoto library rebuilds go south and the Mac user did not have a backup before the rebuilt.

So I hope this further detailed technical perspective will allow you to understand why I was taking the more cautious path. It would not make for me to be responsible for you losing your entire library because of a incorrect haphazard move on my part.

Considering you have done this and have been successful in resolving the issue,
please let me know if you would like to have your deposit refunded instead of accepting my past answers and I will provide that information to you. Otherwise if there is any other information you need from me just let me know.
I would rather you be refunded your deposit and return to us another day, than to lose you as a valuable customer for JustAnswer.com.

Just let me know and I will be glad to comply. And thanks again for allowing me to assist you thus far.

Warmest Regards,

-Terry