Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Mac Book Pro starts with logo and spinner then goes black screen.

Customer Question

Mac Book Pro starts with logo and spinner then goes black screen. same thing when I try to start in safe mode or try to boot from install disc. Checked memory to be certain it wasn't loose.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Did you just upgrade to Snow Leopard?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
It was a possibility as some are having that issue with SL.
What Mac version OS X is on it?
What model MBP is it?
I think we can get this working. Have you tried any thing else like PRAM or SMC reset?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am running the original OS 10.5.8

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry. Also meant to include model A1229. Don't know how to do PRAM or SMC reset.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
When I say model I mean how fast is it? Tell me that next time.
The PRAM reset is below and it may or may not fix it but it will not hurt.
Let me know.

PRAM reset

This is the first step in resolving problems.

Reset the PRAM (Parameter Random Access Memory), this reset all connection Buses to default values.

This will fix some problems quickly.

Do this by restarting the machine (this applies to all makes and models).

As soon as the screen turns black press and hold the 'Option', 'Command', 'R' and 'P', they are marked in red in the picture.

keyboardPRAM.jpg

Keep the keys down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this can be quick or it can be 10 - 15 seconds between chimes, wait for them.

After the 4 chimes then let go the keys and let it finish the start up sequence.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No luck. Held the keys option-ctrl-p-r for 1 minute after black screen....no response.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Try this and let me know.

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the computer's battery.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
  4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
  5. Press the power button to restart the computer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still black screened
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Since we reset the SMC try the install disk again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No luck. I need to disconnect for few hours. Can we resume this tomorrow?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
We can but I think you are going to need a hands on tech to look at it. It sounds like a hardware issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more question, does it sound like a hard drive or board?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
One more simple test. Get a flash light and start the machine up. Shine the light a little sideways and see if there is an image on the screen. If so it will be faint but complete. The good news here is it will probably only need an inverter board (about 25.00 plus labor).
If you can not see any kind of image then it is the logic board.
The hard drive does not display these symptoms.
You may have to move the flashlight around to get the right angle to see anything.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. Sorry it could not be fixed long distance. Thank you for the payment.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again.