Mr Apple
Mr Apple, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Systems Eng/Trainer for Apple Australia. 22 Years Professional Mac support.
21613472

Hi, I have a G4 tower. Ive erased the hard drive and installed

Customer Question

Hi, I have a G4 tower. I've erased the hard drive and installed 9.1. Now when try to upgrade and install 10.3 it will boot from the CD go through "Accept" etc. then it just spins and spins.
Do I need to updates drivers? I don't know what to do.
Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mr Apple replied 5 years ago.
Have you erased the HD SINCE installing 9.1?

You don't appear to be doing anything wrong, so firstly check to make sure the Install disk is clean. If it appears Ok then you've probably got a corrupt CD.
Mr Apple, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Systems Eng/Trainer for Apple Australia. 22 Years Professional Mac support.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I installed the 9.1 on with a clean install. It's definitely not a bad install disc. I have the originals discs for 10.1 and 10.3 and this happens with both. I was able to use the 10.3 successfully on my old laptop.
To be clearer, it will boot from the 10.3 (or 10.1) disc by holding down the C key only. It will go through all the steps: Preparing, Select Language, Into (reading packages), Read me, License, Choose Destination, Install type (Easy), Checking your installation disc, and finally, Installing. It's after is starts (and seems to be finishing) that the screen goes to the Apple Blue and the small circle spins.

The G4 runs at 733 mhz and has 56GB left on hard drive. 512mb ram. I've tried doing an erase and install as well and the same thing happens. I've check the HD with Disc Repair and it says it's verified. I'm just trying to get this set up so I can donate this computer to someone who needs it. . . any other suggestions?