Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

FOR THE LAST WEEK, I AM UNABLE TO SEND A NEW MESSAGE. I GET

Customer Question

FOR THE LAST WEEK, I AM UNABLE TO SEND A NEW MESSAGE. I GET A DROP DOWN SAYING MESSAGE CAN'T BE SENT WITH SMPT SERVER SMPT.GMAIL.COM:Customer. I ALSO HAVE AOL FOR MY SPOUSE. WHEN I CHANGE THE PREFERENCE TO SMPT.AOL.COM:Customer I STILL GET THE SAME RESPONSE. SO MY OUTBOX IS LOADED. UNABLE TO SEND. HAVE A YEAR OLD MAC I PRO OSX10.5.8
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Da.
I have seen this before, this means that your Mac is about to do the cha cha. Not really, just my bad attempt at being funny.
The problem is that :Customer at the end. Go to the Mail preferences and edit the outgoing server so that it only has 'smtp.aol.com' without the quotes and nothing more. I have no idea how it gets appended on the end like that but it also did it to me.
Any outgoing servers that have an add on like that edit to just the server and not any extras.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
DOESN'T WORK. WHEN I GO TO THE SERVER LIST, THE SERVERS LISTED ARE CORRECT. WHEN I GO TO ANOTHER DROP DOWN LISTING THE CHOICE OF SERVERS, I GET THE SMTP,ETC WITH THECustomerADD ON, BUT HIGHLIGHTING AND HITTING DELETE DOESN'T DO ANYTHING, SO I AM UNABLE TO EDIT THE INCORRECT SERVER. HOW, THEN CAN I EDIT OR DELETE THE INCORRECT ADD ON? I HAVE ALREADY ACCEPTED THE FEE ON THE CREDIT CARD, BECAUSE THIS SOUNDS SO LOGICAL. HOW DO I IMPLEMENT?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

Ok, I wasn't clear enough as to what to do. Try it this way.

Check If Your Account is Using the Email Servers

To check if all servers are in use by your accounts, open Mail preferences, click Accounts, then click Account Information. From the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) pop-up menu, choose Edit Server List to display a list of servers. If you see an entry in the “In Use By Account” column for a server, that server is in use. If you have any servers listed that don't have an entry in this column, select the server, click Remove Server, and then click Done. If you see that your affected account isn't “In Use,” go back to step 5 to reset your server settings.

Reset Your Email Account

Try deleting your email account from Mail and then setting the account back up again. Before you do this, save all messages that you want to keep in a different mailbox on your Mac (to create a new Mailbox, choose New Mailbox from the Mailbox menu, choose On My Mac from the Location pop-up menu, type a name for your mailbox, click OK, and then drag the messages that you want to keep to this new mailbox). To delete the account, choose Preferences from the Mail menu, then click Accounts. Make note of the information for the account you want to reset, then select the account in the Accounts list and click the remove (-) button. To recreate your account, click the add (+) button and reenter the information for your account. You can then drag all of your messages from the alternate mailbox back into your newly recreated account.

I had that same problem and it was an easy fix once I figured it out but like an idiot I didn't write it down so had to go through the same steps we are now.

The upside to this is we are very close to the fix. I hate admitting I don't know everything.