Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am having problems with my new MacBook Pro it has Snow Leopard

Customer Question

I am having problems with my new MacBook Pro it has Snow Leopard 10.6.1. I have installed 8GB of Ram and it locks up and forces a re-boot. Is there something I am missing?? Apple states that the new Mac Books and Snow Leopard support 8GB....
HELP!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Where did you buy this RAM? Did it specify that it will work in the new MacBook Pro?
It sounds like you have bad RAM or substandard RAM.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it was directly from Micron and it is the ram that Apple offers at the exact same specifications but much less$$. I have talked to the manufacturer and they said that they have a representative that is working on this issue with Apple. I have read a few other posts from other sites and some other people are having the same issue as me.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like at some point you will be getting replacement RAM that will work in your machine.
I suggest that you make those arrangements with Micron and get them to refund your money until the issue is straitened out or replace it until you get RAM that does work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can you make a judgement on the ram? If I am not the only one having this issue?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You said the the manufacturer is aware of this problem. Also those are the symptoms of bad RAM. You said it runs nice with what it came with but you install 2 more GB and it is OK. You put in the next 2 GB and it goes south. What other conclusion is there?
If you wish you can take it to the Apple store and get verification if you like but they are going to tell you the same thing.
If you want the RAM to be exactly up to Apples standards then you should have got the machine with the extra RAM preinstalled.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The reason that I havent accepted your answer is as of Friday afternoon Apple and Micron talked and they have stopped shipping the 8GB configuration and 8GB upgrade because of an issue with Snow Leopard.

Did you ever test a machine with 8GB to verify that it actually works with Snow Leopard?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
As I am not connected with Apple and they have not given me a machine to test I can not pass judgement.
I do thank you for the info on that as I was not aware that there was an 8GB issue and SL.
It seems as though there are more than one issue with SL causing problems. That is usually the case, Apple tested it as much as they could but until it gets out into the real world the bugs hide. This is true of all software and especially true of something as complicated as an OS.
I suggest using the 4GB until the fix is found, there will be, then you are on top of it.