Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

When I swith my Macbook on, it makes a loud beeping sound (like

When I swith my Macbook on, it makes a loud beeping sound (like an alarm), which doesn't stop. What does this mean?

Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
What model MacBook is it? How fast or when was it new?
Can you describe the sounds a little closer as the patten tells us what may be wrong?
Is it like beep beep beep beep or just a long beep. This makes a big difference.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, it is a Macbook Pro 15inch and I got it new in June 2009. The sounds is def not short beeps, each beep is about a second long and it is quite a loud sound, not a high-pitched sound at all.

Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
OK, you have some failed hardware that will not pass the Power On Self Test or POST and the beeps is the MacBooks way of telling you this. It needs to go to the Apple Genius for repair. You are coved under warranty until next June, I do recommend, if you have not yet done so, buying the Apple care extended coverage. It gives two more years of bumper to bumper fix it.