Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Please help! I am a graduate student and I have just switched

Customer Question

Please help! I am a graduate student and I have just switched from a PC to a Mac. Most of my advisers are still using PCs so my files must be compatible. I have Office 2008 for Mac and PC users cannot open documents CREATED on my computer. If the document was created on my original PC, modified on my new Mac, and sent out, it is fine. Microsoft tells me its an "internet issue" and washed their hands of it but that is not acceptable to me. My husband has a copy of Microsoft 2003 - I wonder if I should uninstall 2008 and install 2003? Or could this be a SnowLeopard issue? Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

What is happening is you are creating new docs in the new DocX format and the older Office folks cannot read that format.

When you get one from a PC, it opens and saves fine because it stays in the format it came with.

So, you need to either always save in an older .doc format, or use the compatibility Checker, in the Save As dialog, to make sure the docs you create are going to be usable in the PCs.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I've tried that to no avail. I'm sorry, I meant to mention this piece of information. I am saving the document in .doc and when I use the compatibility checker, it tells me that no compatibility issues were found. Also Office Mac often shuts down saying it has encountered a problem and is forced to close. Also, not sure if related, but I can't download the update: Microsoft Office 2008 SPI update for Mac 12.2.1 - it says a version of the software required to install this update is not available on this volume. This seems to be something specific to Office 2008 or my computer, I can't tell.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

It may be saying that because your installed version is already newer.

You can't use Office 2003, that is a PC release.

I still think it is a file format issue. Just not sure why.

Also, the crashing/quitting is not right either.

Have you upgraded to 10.6.1 from Software Update?

Does Microsoft Update want you to install the SP1 for 2008? Is the Office folder still in the Applications folder?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I meant Office 2004 for Mac - my husband has some earlier version of Office for Mac that maybe I should use instead. How do I know if I've upgraded to 10.6.1? I assume I have because I do all software upgrades that appear.

I have not moved the Office folder - but should probably check it is in applications folder - how do I do that?

What else would be helpful?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

2004 would work OK. But not with Snow Leopard. You would also have issues with your current Identitiy. It can't go backwards.

To check for the folder, just open Applications and scroll down to M's.

The Microsoft Office 2008 folder should be there. Open that and you should see all your Microsoft apps inside.

To check your OS X version, go to the Apple Menu and choose About this Mac...

The version is written in there.

Try different versions of Save As and send them to a co-worker and see which ones open and which ones of those are workable solutions.

I really cannot figure out why it will not work as a .doc.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Microsoft Word is in applications. I don't see what other versions of Save As would work but I could try it. By the way, when I send my .docs to PC users, they get symbol salad.

And yes I have OS X - Snow Leopard, I bought this Mac 1 month ago.

What do you recommend I do??? Also, bizarrely, not sure if this is more information, but my personal PC can open the files (but no other PC's can (the symbol salad) - could it be some user privelege issue?

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hmm.

What version of Office is on the PC you have versus the others?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have Microsoft 2000. I don't know what others have and frankly, I can't be asking dissertation advisors to update their Word programs.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
The only thing I have left is how are they getting to these other people? Email? Flash drives?

I can't think of anything other than an encoding error is preventing these from being read.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Through e-mail. I talked to Microsoft Support and they told me to install it - seems to have fixed it somewhat. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Glad to help,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Your expert never fixed the problem and did not provide anything that ultimately fixed the problem (someone outside of Just Answer helped me resolve it). I will not be paying the $30 bc your expert provided no helpful information towards solving the problem and told me he didn't know what the problem was. So I cannot click accept that any of these asnwers resolved my problem - the promised $30 was if the answer fixed my problem, which it did not. Cool site though. I will be back.

Becca
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
No problem.