Derick The Mac Guy
Derick The Mac Guy, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs Experience with Macs including 4 yrs as a Mac Genius with Apple

i cannot get my ichat to signal me when I have a video invitaton.

Customer Question

i cannot get my ichat to signal me when I have a video invitaton. it used to sound bugels.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Derick The Mac Guy replied 7 years ago.
Good Morning,

This may be related to a sound profile issue. In iChat if you go to the Preferences menu under iChat at the top of the screen, you will see a menu that is called alerts. Under alerts you can set the sounds for different events.
You will see a drop down menu next to the word "Events." Select Video Invitation, then make sure the "Play sound" check box is selected. You can change the sound, but by default it should give a nice ring sound.

This get you all taken care of.

Happy chatting!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i've done that several times--it doesn't work which is why i am writing
Well that is unfortunate. Let's see if we can't get that working again for you. Do you have any other sound related issues with your computer? Are you still able to hear people when using video chat?

Let's check the sound volumes for alerts just in case.
In System Preferences --> Sound--> Sound Effects tab turn the volume Up for Sound Effects/Alerts.
Make sure the "Alerts Volume" is up full, and that the check box for "Play user interface sound effects," is selected.

Let's see where this gets us.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
done all that too!
Good Morning,

If you are still able to use the application effectively apart from the alerts there may be a corrupted preference file related to iChat.
If you close iChat, then navigate to your User Folder in Finder click on your Library folder.
Your path should be Users/user/Library/Preferences
Once in that folder look for files named ""
There may be 3 or More files. Move those files to the trash. These files will be recreated when you reopen iChat. You may have to reenter some account information related to your chat client.
If this does not resolve the issue you may need to do an Archive and Install.