Nick B.
Nick B., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  16 year mac user. 13 years professional mac experience. BSD UNIX expert. Senior Network Engineer

I have a Mac powerbook G4 and a Rockstor 2 bay RAID hard drive

Customer Question

I have a Mac powerbook G4 and a Rockstor 2 bay RAID hard drive model RSM2BF. I think it was plugged in when the computer froze up, the control+apple+power had to be hit. Now both lights on the hard drive are red, they are normally green, and no icon comes up on the desktop. I keep music and pictures on this. Please help me..... yes i do have other backup I want to fix this though
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick B. replied 4 years ago.
Some helpful info would be the of MacOS X are you running and the RAID level you are using. I believe the RSM2BF does RAID 0 or RAID 1 (striping and mirroring, respectively).

Have you tried opening up disk utility? It is available in Applications => Utilities => Disk utility. You should see the disk on the left hand side in the pane with any other disks. If it is there you can mount, unmount, verify and potentially repair disk issues from within the "First aid" tab on top.

Edited by Nick B. on 10/1/2009 at 3:11 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am running OS X 10.4.11, the RAID configuration is set up for mirroring. There are 2 small switches in the back of the hard drive that are labeled 1 and 2. On top it says "ON" both switches are in the up position. Disc utility does not show it even being there. The computer is not finding the drive at all, and the hard disc is not there when open a finder window. There is no kind of reset on the hard drives so is there a way to reboot them?
Expert:  Nick B. replied 4 years ago.
Have you added any pereferials or made any software changes other than the crash?
When you say you've unplugged it, do you mean from power or from the powerbook?
A few things to try would be:
Reboot the powerbook with it unplugged and then add it after the powerbook has booted.
Use a different USB port on the powerbook
Power the device off, reset both drives (remove and reinsert them), power on.
Power the device off, removing one drive and powering it back on. If that yields the same result, then switch the drive that is in there. All removals needs to be done with the external drive powered off, and should be very straightforward (a level on the back, I believe).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing new added, no changes not even a software update.
Yes I rebooted the powerbook
Yes I have tried all of the USB ports as well as the firewire ones
powered off, removed drives, put them back in, re-powered.. red lights.
Still no change, is there another way to reset the drives
Expert:  Nick B. replied 4 years ago.
Hmm, thats no fun. The only way I can think of to reset the drives is to reaeat them. It *could* be a hardware issue with the controller of the raid enclosure, but I don't really have a good way to test that. Do you have another mac that you can put this external device on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Going to try that

Expert:  Nick B. replied 4 years ago.
Any luck with re-seating the drives?

Edited by Nick B. on 10/1/2009 at 9:19 PM EST
Expert:  Nick B. replied 4 years ago.
Have you had a chance to try reseating the drives?