Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

I have partioned harddrive and my mac osx is at 79 gb and is

Customer Question

I have partioned harddrive and my mac osx is at 79 gb and is full. I deleted windows, deleted fusion and have tried everything to get the mac osx to take the space. It won't let me with boot camp. I downloaded the latest update.

I am trying to load snow leapord. I deleted programs and files and no matter what I do it seems like i can't get enough room to load leapord
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me how much free space is available on your hard drive? You can find out by clicking the hard drive icon on the desktop once to highlight it, then selecting Get Info under the File menu heading.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2.9 gb on the mac os and 38 on the one I can't figure out how to use
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I had a telephone tech on when I ordered snow leapord and he told me what to do. I did everything he told me. I am not at home but on the road and therefore don't have my original operating disk with me or I would have just started from scratch.

I have verified the drive, repaired it and tried to repartition it using the free space but it won't let me. I can drag the blue box down and it will show it is getting bigger but when I hit the next button after few minutes nothing happens and it says if failed.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
The requirements for Snow Leopard 10.6 is 5 GB of free space. Here is Apple's web page on that:

Do you use Time Machine or a cloning software that backs up your current computer? You could erase both the Mac side and Windows partition and get all the space back then restore your computer from the back up drive.

It may be possible to erase the Windows partition and combine it with the Mac side if you are running Mac OS 10.5 but I have not had success reclaiming partitioned hard drives without erasing to date.

If you try to reclaim that Windows space, you have to first erase the Windows drive with Disk Utility and use the same format as the Mac partition (Mac OS Extended Journaled).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is not reading the other drive and no I don't have anything backed up. I deleted safari knowing i could download later and several other programs and still only have 2.5 gb left and yet there is 38 gb sitting there not being used but it no longer reads it as a drive.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
You are going to have to figure out what you can delete and do without to do a upgrade install or back some things up on a external hard drive, flash/pen/stick drive or CDs then delete those items you backed up.

Or, backup your important files on an external hard drive, flash/pen/stick drive or CDs, startup from the Snow Leopard install disk, erase the entire hard drive, then install Snow Leopard on the freshly erased drive.

Just to let you know, I have installed Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro at first with an upgrade install. Not erasing the hard drive and it ran slower than 10.5. So, I had everything backed up on Time Machine backup external hard drive, so I erased my drive, then installed Snow Leopard. Then brought all of my files back over with Migration Assistant which the installer automatically asks you if you want to bring over files from another drive and it all worked really well.