Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

the power went out when is was downloading an up grade, now

Customer Question

the power went out when is was downloading an up grade, now my macbook won't start up. What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
What was the upgrade or update? There is a difference.
What disk is stuck in the drive?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yup, I was Upgrading To Tiger 10.4 To 10.6 When The Power went out, the CD install Disk was in the drive. Now Stuck. Now it only shows an apple logo, looking like its going to start up, but does nothing...
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
The power going out should not have done any thing if you were on battery power unless that failed also. Restart and immediately hold down the 'C' key until the language screen come up. Click continue and go to the install page, ignore the installer and in the menu bar click on Utilities, in the drop down menu select Disk Utility and you will get this.

graphic

The name of your drive will not be The Repository, click on the top item in the list and do what the next sample tells you.

graphic

Again these names and items will be different than yours but will work the same.
Repair the permissions, then quit Disk Utility and the installer so that it restarts.
If it starts up like it should then all is well if not we will do something else.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I Tried To Hold Down The C Key And Did Nothing, Same Apple Logo Trying To Start Up. It Will Re-Start And Shut Down, But Just Wont, Do Any Thing Else
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Try the same thing with the Option key. This should bring up the startup manager. If it does then choose the Snow Leopard disk.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Still Loading....
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Still doing the same thing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nothing, Disk Is Stuck, Apple Logo There, And Its Got the Little cloclk wise spinner going, nothing else.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
OK try this. If it is still powered up turn it off.
Then Disconnect the power and remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds then release.
Replace the battery and reconnect the power.
Now restart and hold the 'C' key.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nothing, It Won't Go Pass The First Setup, Just Apple Logo, And Small Clockwise Logo Spinning, Won't Take Any Commands...
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
I can do nothing else to help. You need an Apple hands on tech. I suggest the Apple store.
Sorry.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What Do You Think It is? Hard Drive Problem?
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
An interrupted install can cause all sorts of problems that I can't deal with long distance. I think the machine is OK it just needs a hands on tech.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks...
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome.