Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

How do I copy photo files - jpgs in my iPhoto Library - to

Customer Question

How do I copy photo files - jpg's in my iPhoto Library - to an SD card? The new blank 4GB SD card is inserted in my HP psc 1350 scanner. The message that pops up says "HP Communications - Error on card". And a separate window says "To be compatible with HP Image Upload devices must be configured to connect to the Macintosh as a USB storage device.

How do I do that? I want to upload TO the SD card rather than download FROM the new blank card.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Plug the USB flash drive into the Mac. Control click on the icon and get info. That will tell you how the Mac sees it. Also open System Profiler and see what that tells you about it.
What format does the HDTV use? Probably FAT 32.
Let me know what you find out and we will go from there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not using a USB card - I am using a SanDisk flash memory card, like the one that goes into a digital camera.

I cannot plug the SD card into the Mac as there is no port for an SD card. The usual way is to use the SD card reader in the HP psc printer. Therefor I cannot do the Applei info scan.

The HDTV uses the same format that I use in my digital camera.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I see. I think you need a card reader. They are inexpensive and when you put your card in it is treated just like an external hard drive. The printers card slot is the same thing but does not act as a hub so the Mac can't read it.
Wal-Mart. K-mart, Office Max or any box store will have them for less than 25.00.
Without that what you want to do will be well nigh impossible.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So my HP psc printer is definitely not a card reader? Then how can it upload TO my computer FROM the card slot in the psc? I do not want to buy a new device if it just required some kind of formatting or change of setting.

When I put in the card a popup window says "To be compatible with HP Image Upload devices must be configured to connect to the Macintosh as a USB storage device. How do I configure it as a USB storage device?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
If the Mac can read it try writing. If it can not write then it needs to be reconfigured to do so. Does it mount on your Macs desktop?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it does not mount at all. I get these messages when I insert the SD memory card into the slot on the HP psc printer/scanner/copier device: "HP Communications - Error on card". And a separate window says "To be compatible with HP Image Upload devices must be configured to connect to the Macintosh as a USB storage device."

So how do I "configure it to connect to the Macintosh as a USB storage device"?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Therefore get a card reader and all that will go away and you can sort all you wish. It will not change the cards format to do this it will however allow you to do what you want to do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Isn't the slot in the printer a "card reader"? How do I format the SD card? Or a USB thumb drive? I just tried copying my jpg's onto a thumb drive and play them on my HDTV DVD recorder, but got this message: "Format of USB is incompatible with thsi device". So I need to know how to format and what format to use. Please advise on how to format and what format to use. Thank you.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
First I need to know what format the TV likes. That information will be in the docs that came with the TV. With out that I would only be guessing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I think a guy at Radio Shack helped me out. He said that the new SDHC cards will not record on older equipment, but that the older SD cards will. The older cards are a maximum of 2GB in capacity, but they can be recorded (written) upon. However, the cardreaders that you recommended will record (write) up to 8GB SDHC (high capacity) cards. So I tested it with the 2GB SD (NOT SDHC) card and it worked - fairly well. Not all images copied. (Don't know why) and they display beautifully on my HDTV, though they are fairly slow to load. I'll let you know how it goes after I load the cardreader and copy to larger SDHC cards.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Ok will look for it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It turns out that I will have to get a CD from the company from whomI bought the card reader - Sakar. They gave me a 3" mini CD to install the reader driver, but a slot drive iMac cannot load a mini CD. I will not forget you. I'll write back as soon as I've got a successful upload to the SD card.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
What is on that CD that needs installing? I have never had to do anything like that and I use all kinds of cards. Be careful what you install as it could cause more headaches that it cures.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a Driver. The instructions say "In order to use this card reader's Sim Card function, you must first install the included software installation CD." I cannot do that since the iMac has a slot load CD that only accepts standard CD's. I do not have any "tray load" CD computers to copy the disk.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Most, 99%, of those are for Windows users because Macs come already to use things of this nature. You are welcome to try but I would just plug the reader in the USB then plug in the card. That is what I do and it works every time.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It works! And I was able also to download the Driver from Sakar, the manufacturer's website. It generally works, though for some unknown reason not all of the images are copied to the SD card... I did copy the folder and paste to the SD card. Thank you very much, all! I consider the question answered. ;-)
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. Thank you.