Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

Hi, The hard drive on my ibook G4 died, but before it did,

Customer Question

The hard drive on my ibook G4 died, but before it did, I was told to copy the "users" file onto an external hard drive. I did, and then transfered the information onto my MacBook. Now when I try to open my iCal, I get a message that says that I cannot open that version (4.0.6) on this computer. What can I do to update and open my address book so that it can be opened?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

Can you open the iCal application located in the Applications folder?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just realized that I combined two questions into one. (That's what happens when trying to solve problems when also taking care of kids!) Let me clarify... the TWO problems I'm having are 1) When I try to open my iCal (from the applications folder) it only opens a new empty one, not the one with all my information from my original computer that died. 2) When I try to open my Address book, it says that I cannot open it on this computer. Sorry for the confusion. Please let me know if you can help.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
To get the calendar you had in the previous computer, you need to look inside the user folder of the G4 iBook you copied and find the Calendars folder inside. It will be located in the G4 iBook user/YourUsername/Library/Calendars.

You take that folder and put it in your new computer's Home/Library folder. Replace the one in there now with the one from the iBook. Make sure iCal is closed before you do this.

To get Address Book to open you may need to reinstall it. Which version of Mac OSX are you running? I'll tell you how to get it reinstalled.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your response. The version of Mac OSX that I'm running is 10.5.6. Will reinstalling it recover my old address book?

In response to the calendar problem... I looked in User/myusername/library, and unfortunately ther is no "calendar" in there. Any place else it might be?
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
No, that's where it's supposed to be. But, you can try a search for it and see what shows up.

Reinstalling Address Book won't give you your old addresses back in your new Address Book. But, it should make it so it will at least open up and be useable.

To get your old addresses, you'll have to go back to your old user account and take them to the same location in your new user account. It will be here:

Old user account/Library/Application Support/Address Book

That Address Book will be a folder. Replace the entire folder in the same location in your new user account.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nothing seems to be working the way it should. I found a "calendar" file and imported it, and it was a calendar from about a year ago or more. I can't find a way to get my most recent calendar. Same goes for the address book. I did what you said, but it still won't open. I'm happy to pay you for your time, but so far nothing is working.

Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Only click accept if you are happy with the answers you get.

I'm not sure what's stopping your Address Book from opening up. One thing you could try is to reinstall the stand alone system update again. Actually, there is an update out there for you if you want to update your system. It just might fix your Address Book problem. You can get 10.5.8 here:

It's a big update...759 megabytes.