Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I installed the new operating system, snow leopard, on my daughters

Customer Question

I installed the new operating system, snow leopard, on my daughters laptop. She does have the intel chip. However, now we are getting messages that say we do not have the correct version of mail, internet, etc. What do we need to do? If we have to uninstall snow leopard, then how do I do that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
I just did what you have done. I got the same thing (I think). It wants to update the accounts. If there is the option to update do so. I did and had no problems.
If this is not what the issue is then please explain in more detail.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks you so much for helping, Daniel!!

Well, I can't see any way to update. I don't see the option to do that. ?? Am I missing something?

Laurie
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Launch Mail. You should get the message. Repeat for other applications and see where that takes you.
Apple made this upgrade as easy and painless as possible but you know Murphy, if it can it will.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is the message I get "you can't use this version of the application Mail.app (or Safari.app) with this version of Mac OS X".
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
It should have updated those. Goto the Apple menu and in the drop down menu choose Software update. You may have to run it more than once to get everything up to date. Then repair the permissions again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't do the software update because I can't get onto the web.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I need to know just what it says when you try the internet.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
"You can't use this version of the application Safari.app with this version of Mac OS X."
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Do you have Firefox?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have Mozilla Firefox, but all that comes up with it is a blank screen
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK, put the Snow Leopard disk back in and reinstall. I suggest an Archive and Install preserving user and network settings. That is the important part. Preserve User and network setting.
This is how to do it.

Archive and Install

Select this option if you want to install a "fresh" system on your computer. This type of installation moves existing System files to a folder named Previous System, then installs a new copy of Mac OS X. You cannot start up your computer using the Previous System folder.

Archive and Install installations require the largest amount of available disk space because you need to have room to preserve your existing System and the new one you are installing. This is a good choice if you've already backed up your important files and are trying to resolve an existing issue. Mac OS X-installed applications, such as Address Book and Safari, are archived, and new versions are installed in the Applications folder. For a list of which files are archived, see this article.

Some applications, plug-ins, and other software may have to be reinstalled after an “Archive and Install.” Fonts that were installed in the Fonts folder in the top-level Library folder can be installed in your new system by copying them from the Previous System folder.

About "Preserve Users and Network Settings"

You'll probably want to select the "Preserve Users and Network Settings" checkbox to import your existing accounts' Home folders, and network settings into the new system. Home folders include things such as:

• Files on your desktop and in the Documents folder
  • Your personalized preference settings
  • Address Book contacts and databases
  • Favorite locations and Web browser bookmarks
  • iTunes songs and iPhoto pictures
  • Your network settings and locations

"Preserve Users and Network Settings" also copies the existing Shared folder in the Users folder to your new system.

Third-party software

Important: Usually it's best to reinstall third-party software after an Archive and Install installation to ensure they work correctly. The "Preserve Users and Network Settings" option leaves non-Apple-installed (third-party) items intact, though they may be moved, depending on their location.

After installation

You might wonder "What do I do with the Previous System folder?" It may contain items that you need. To determine this, once you've finished configuring, installing, and updating your applications, you can compare the Previous System to the new System. If there are things in the Previous System folder that aren't in the new System folder, copy them over or reinstall. If you're not sure what some items are (and don't seem to need them), leave them in the Previous System folder. Once you're comfortable that you've got everything you need out of it, you can delete the Previous System folder (or leave it around if you have enough free disk space).

You can’t start up your computer using the Previous System folder, but settings, preference files, fonts, plug-ins, and other items remain available in case you need to access them (which you probably won't, if you use "Preserve Users and Network Settings").

Click on the blue links for more info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is too complicated for me because nothing is opening up. I'll go to the Apple store and see what I can do there

Laurie
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
It really isn't as hard as you might think but if it seems too much I don't fault you for having an Apple Genius do it. They will probably do it for free.
You are not the only one that is having problems getting 10.6 to work. I even had a few issues.
There is an Apple store near you?
Here is the link to help find one if not, just type in your zip code.
http://www.apple.com/retail/
Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Daniel,

I am so sorry not to get back to you. I ended up taking the computer to the Apple store. They may need to start all over with software updates. The updating you suggested didn't work in the store either. I appreciate your help, but I the problem was too complicated to fix at home.

Sorry

Laurie
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Laurie,
What did they do? Is it all better?