Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

I have the Corel Mega Gallery for Mac OS 9 which has 5 CDs

Customer Question

I have the Corel Mega Gallery for Mac OS 9 which has 5 CDs and various kinds of clipart. Now that I'm on OS 10.5.8 I can't install the app to unlock the CMX files because it only runs on Classic. Could you please let me know how I can resolve the issue and get the images that are on my CDs?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

The last version of Mac OS X that will run Classic is Mac OS 10.4. See if you can view the files on the CD by inserting the CD, opening a Finder window by clicking the smiling face icon in the lower left corner. Then click your CD in the left sidebar and make it display in Column View by holding the Command 3 keys. See if you can view the files that way.

Another possibility is inserting the CD then holding the Control key while clicking on the CD and see if you can select "View Package Contents" in the menu that pops up. Select "View Package Contents" and see if you can view the files in the CD that way.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt response... however viewing the files is not my problem. The problem is that all the files on the Corel CDS are CMX files that have to be converted to .eps (or whatever) by installing the app that converts them. Since I don't have Classic anymore, I need to get the Corel CMX unlocking app. (if that's what it's called.)
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I'll see what I can dig up. Without Classic you may not be able to do it since it's a Classic app. I'll get back to you shortly.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Have you been able to find out to convert these Corel CMX files? Just wondering as I own all the cds and I'd hate to loose what's on them.

Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry I hadn't gotten back to you. My apologies. No, I haven't found a good solution for you except maybe buying an older Mac that can run Mac OS9. Using those disks on one of them and maybe transferring the files with a flash/pen drive.

You can get some old G3 iMacs here:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks... but I have a couple of old macs here... but all have been upgraded to either Tiger or Leopard by now. I really don't want to purchase another G3!
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
I certainly understand that. I'm going to opt out which means I won't be answering this question any more. It will allow all of the other experts here to jump in and see if they can find a solution for you.

Good luck and take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for trying... I knew it was going to be a challenge! I guess it's the way of the dinosaurs!
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I couldn't give you a good remedy. If you use it on one of your 10.4 Macs, most of them can run Classic. It should work on them.