Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

AOL email messages are arriving with headings and messages

Customer Question

AOL email messages are arriving with headings and messages improperly assigned. That is, the headings are not for the body of the message included but rather for a different message. This error is occurring with some regularity since I moved from AOL to AOL Desktop last week. I am using an iMac with OS 10.5. Can you help resolve this problem?
Earle Williams
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX first thing I suggest is make sure all your email account information is recorded so you can replace it in the event it gets erased. Here is a form for that, it is in PDF form and works best in Preview:

http://senduit.com/cbe661

Next quit AOL and go to the home folder Library/Preferences and drag AOL out onto the desk top and leave that window open so you can watch it. Relaunch AOL, it give an error or it will make a new preference file or folder. If it makes a new file then check your accounts to check the accuracy and see what AOL mail does now.
This is the first step and may not fix it but at the least it should give some clues.
Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I did what you said. I don't see any change. I have to leave now for several hours. I will leave the window open, but how do I reach you if I need to?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Reply to this question. Do not start a new one. I am sending this as answer so don't reply until you are ready.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am back and wil be here the rest of the day into the evening.
I went into the preferences file and moved the AOL folder to the desktop. There was no folder marked AOL Desktop in the Preferences folder. I followed your instructions and nothing changed.
I then clicked on the Preferences item under the AOL Desktop drop down item. There was nothing there to drag.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
The preferences are located in your little house, click on that then Library, scroll to the Preferences folder. In there is where you will find the AOL plist. That is what you are looking for. AOL must not be running so if it is then quit it.
Drag the plist out then relaunch AOL desktop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did what you said. There had been a new AOL folder placed in the Preferences folder and I dragged it to the Desktop. I got the message that there was already an AOL folder there and did I want to replace the earlier version. I did.
I then relaunched AOL Desktop. Nothing has changed in my mail box.
Might it help for me to forward a couple of the "bad" messages to you for your review? if so send me the address to which I can send them.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
That can only be done through this http://www.senduit.com/ it is very easy to use. Just copy paste the address into the reply and I will be able to see it. Copy paste the entire mess into a word processor then save it upload the saved file to senduit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
From: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Subject:
Your new Fleming's e-newsletter: The Memorable Times
Date:
September 1, 2009 5:06:51 PM EDT
Dear Neighbors,

There has been an overwhelming response to starting a beginners Bridge Group. Details have yet to be worked out.   Carolyn Rocco has a few leads for teachers, if you would have questions, suggestions or recommendations for a teacher please contact Carolyn atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

From: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Subject:
Has the Economy Made Your Job Less Meaningful?
Date:
September 1, 2009 3:53:06 PM EDT
To: XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Click here to view this message about DDelta SkyMiles® partner
offers in your web browser.

===============================================================

Email Subscription
You are currently subscribed to receive Delta promotions and special
offers asXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Want to change what emails you receive from Delta?
Log in at delta.com/emailprograms using your SkyMiles account number (NNN) NNN-NNNNand PIN at anytime to modify your account or unsubscribe.

You may also unsubscribe now but note that the unsubscribe will only
apply to the recipient receiving this email.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried sending the two examples by Reply and by Senduit.
If you didn't receive either one, let me know and I will try again.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I got the one in the reply, Interesting. There is definitely a problem with it. I don't where to go from here except to bug AOL. It seems to be a problem with their software because if you go to AOL on the web no problem but when it gets to you it is a mess. If you have RoadRunner with AOL I would suggest going with them I have no problem with my mail from RoadRunner email. If you wish I can opt out so another expert can try.
Senduit didn't come through.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have Roadrunner, and I can't find an email address for AOL that takes me to any thing that makes sense in terms of letting me describe the problem.
So I guess I would like to have another expert take a look.

Thank you for your effort.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Thats one reason I don't use AOL. I will opt out and let another one try.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm changing to gmail right away.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Good for you.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm going to accept because of the time you put in on the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will you put the new expert in touch with me?
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
He should be in touch shortly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK, my colleague suggests and I agree dump AOL desktop and if you wish to keep your AOL email then do it online. Or get Gmail and use Mac Mail application, the two get along well.