Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

i get a black screen when i open iphoto & i chat! HELPPPP

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Is the iSight camera what you are trying to use and you now get no image through it?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike!

Yes..I meant to say no image through photobooth, imovie or i chat. I did an update about a week ago and all of a sudden cant get a picture on my webcam.

Thanks!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Let;s try and get it working again.

What specific Mac is this? Speed /Model?

Do you remember the update that was installed?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe it was a general update that the computer did automatically. I'm terribly new to the MAC community.

Macbook
Version 10.5.8
Memory: 4GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM
Mac HD

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Great. thanks for that.

Let's try a hardware reset, then we will install a combo updater that might help since it seems it might be related to software.

Do these first:
To reset PRAM:

Turn off Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys at the same time:
OPTION
COMMAND
P
R

The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Turn on the Mac while keeping the 4 keys held down.

Wait until the Mac chimes/restarts 3 times, release the keys and let the Mac boot normally.

Try the camera again.

if still no, then download this updater from Apple. It is big, about 750GB's but it will install the entire OS X 10.5.8 for you and should clear this up. Install it, restart and try the camera again.