Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

we switch pur Mac on and get a white screen with the apple

we switch pur Mac on and get a white screen with the apple logo and the sign that shows something is loading. Then we get a blue screen with the processing icon then just a blue screen. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

That command you listed is wrong.

It is Command Option P and R kets. Holde them down until Mac Chimes/Restarts 3 times, then let them up. They need to be down as soon as the the Mac powers on.

Another command to try is this:
To run disk checking utility without booting from a CD/DVD do this:

Shut down your Computer.

Turn it back on and hold down the 'Command' and 'S' keys at the same time. Command is the Apple key.

Release the keys when you see a lot of text scrolling up the screen.

When the text stops and the Mac appears to be waiting for something, type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run.

Let it finish. If it returns any errors, make a note of them and then run the command again.

When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return

Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your help so far. I did as you suggested (twice) and got the following message 'the volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired'.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Sam.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Bad news then. It needs to be recovered and then re-partitioned.

Do you have any backups of your data?

If not, you may have to resort to some other method of connecting to the Mac like Target Disk Mode.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Mike,
We have no backups which is a huge concern. Is there any way I can assess who's reprutable in the New Zealand market. Long shot, I know.

Cheers.

S.

ps - I'm happy to acept now but would like to continue the conversation if needs be. Is that possible?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

You can always come back to this thread from an email JA sent or login and click on My Questions at top of page.

Hmmm. Service provider in NZ. Let me see how to do that.....

Here you go.

Good luck with it.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Mike. We'll need to take it for here, I guess.

Sam.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

If you want, come back and let me know what came of it. Very interested.

And Thanks! for the Accept.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pleasure. Will keep you posted.

Sam.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Thanks