Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

When I put on my macbook, I get a blank screen with a file

Customer Question

When I put on my macbook, I get a blank screen with a file logo and a question on it and keeps flashing. Please help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have the Mac OS X installation disks that came with your Mac ?

When did the problem starts ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A couple of day's ago

No I don't have the disks
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
graphic
The folder with question mark (?) means that your Mac was unable to find the startup disk inorder to boot your Mac OS. This is because of either the Mac OS system files are corrupted or failure of hard disk. In your case, we need to find out whether it is a hardware or software issue. So you need to reinstall your Mac OS, basically it is known as Archive and Install. To reinstall, you need the Mac OS X installation disks. So you must purchase the Mac OS X Retails disks of the same Mac OS version that you are using. (If you are using Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, you must buy Leopard Retail Disks)

Before doing Archive and Install, we can try some troubleshooting steps :

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Option key till you are able to see the start up option. From there, if you can see the Macintosh HD then select it and press return key on your keyboard.

If that didn't solved the problem, then you need to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Ashik,

Thanks for the information, sorry " WHATS A COMMAND KEY"
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Command Key is the Apple Key
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I DID WHAT ALL YOU ASKED ME TO DO , BUT IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME.

SO I GUESS THE "ARCHIVE AND INSTALL" IS MY NEXT STEP OR IS THERE ANYTHING ELSTHAT I COULD DO ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Archive and Install is the only way to solve the issue. Archive and install will rebuild the system files...
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS XXXXX TIME
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting my answer. Hope it will work... Good Luck !

Please don't forget to comeback again if you need our help..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
Found my disks for mac. Could you guys please to install it
Thanks

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Just follow the instructions in this Page (Archive and Installation) : Click Here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Ashik,
I tried to follow the instructions on the Mac, following your advice, but I got stuck with another problem and I got pretty fed up. Could you please help me through with it
Thanks Peter.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
I will try...What is the problem ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Ashik,
I might have to try installing the disk with quick responces, if that's OK with you. So Please give a time or should I go ahead with the installing.
Thank you, Peter.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
So how can i help you...?

What is the current problem ?

Are you able to re-install the OS ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have sloted the disk in my laptop. I've gone through the first stage agreed the installing and at the select Destination the Continue does not light up while the Go back is lit . Could you explain the problem,
Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi Peter,
I understand the problem..

Can you see the hard disk on the destination column ?

Goto Utilites Menu and open Disk Utility, if you can see the hard disk icon then select it, Repair the Disk and Repair the permssion.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no repair Disk Repair the permission on the screen, but It says "Select the system you want to use to start up your conputor" with two options the Mac OS X ,10.4.6 on MAC OSX ........tall Disk 1.

Then the other is " NETWORK STARTUP"

THANKS
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Are you in the setup screen...?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO THE START UP SCREEN
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Boot from the Mac OS X installation disks and you can see the Utilites menu in the setup screen..

Check Disk Utilites and let me know if you can see the hard disk ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES ! I SEE THE STARTUP DISK WITH A QUESTION MARK ON IT
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
So the hard disk is in there and you're unable to do an Archive and Installation on it..
We may need to do an Erase and Install, it will delete all contents on it.

So do you have the Backup of your files ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO NOT ALL THE FILES. SO HOW DO I BACK UP FILE FILE
THANKS

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
If the hard disk completely corupted then you can't recover the files. However, you can try the Target Disk Mode. You need another Mac and a FireWire cable.

Target Disk Mode : More Info'

(no need to accept)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I THINK I WOULD CALL THE"RECOVER THE FILES" OFF. AN RE INSTALL THE DISK IF POSIBLE . THANKS
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
First try Target Disk Mode, most of the files can be easily recovered with it. Good Luck !
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE A "USB 2.0 HDD EXTERNAL BOX" OR A PORTABLE HARD DISK COULD I RECOVER THE FILE ONTO THIS HARD DISK
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
No, it won't work because you must use a FireWire and another Mac.

You can borrow a mac from your friends....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE AN OLD MAC 40GIG, WOULD THAT WORK
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
From Apple :

The following models can be used as target computers:

• iMac (Slot Loading) with Firmware version 2.4 or later
  • iMac (Summer 2000) and all models introduced after July 2000
  • eMac (all models)
  • Mac mini (all models)
  • Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) with ATA drive
  • Power Mac G4 Cube
  • Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) and all models introduced after July 2000
  • Power Mac G5 (all models)
  • iBook (FireWire) and all models introduced after September 2000
  • PowerBook G3 (FireWire)
  • PowerBook G4 (all models)
  • MacBook Pro (all models)
  • MacBook models introduced before October 2008
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES I HAVE ONE OF THEM ,AS MENTIONED

THANK YOU TILL NEXT TIME
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Okay...Please comeback again if you need our help.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes we have an "iBOOK G 4". And I was hoping would you have the soft wear for the 2008 version of leapord.
Thanbk you
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Which software ?

Are you able to retrive the files using Target Disk Mode ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I used the wrong word. What I'm looking for is The MAC OS X INSTALL DISC, with the latest leopard progames
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Don't you have the Leoaprd disks ?

We need the disks to reinstall the OS....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I do have them it's the 2006. Well it's not the latest. Does it matter. Because I was using the 2008 type.
Thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
May be its the Tiger installation disks...You should have the Leopard installation disk to do an Archive and Install.

Or You can do a Erase and Install with the Tiger installation disks...Good Luck !

Best Regards,