Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

i had tried the suggestion that you guys gave me but i dont

Customer Question

i had tried the suggestion that you guys gave me but i dont know how long it is suppose to sit. the curser is underneith the paragraph system uptime is XXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  The Apple Clinic replied 7 years ago.
Did you try to remove any external USB device? And update each and every driver for USB stuff you carry around?

Sometimes, the internal Airport card causes that error message. In that case, when starting with Apple-S pressed you will probably see lot of messages "kernel panic: airport blablabla". Do you see any messages like that on that "unix text screen"?

If you have a Powerbook or iBook, you can try to remove the airport card (iBook: pull the two sliders between the F-keys and pull the keyboard towards you. Powerbook: there's very often a door in the battery bay. If you have a 17" model, open the RAM bay door with the hinges towards you and the battery bay away from you. The airport cable is the one with the silver cushioning on the very left).

You could als try to remove one RAM bank at a time and restart - sometimes bad RAM causes that error.

Best of luck!