Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

my mac wont power up. all it do is show the power picture and

Customer Question

my mac wont power up. all it do is show the power picture and tell me to restart the computer
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.

Try this:

1) Restart, as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the Command S keys. You'll get a Unix text screen. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

make sure there is a space between k and -. Then hit the return key. When the diagnostics say the computer seems to be ok type:

reboot

then hit return and you'll start up back to normal.

If that doesn't get you going do this:

2) Start up in Safe Mode by restarting and as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the shift key. Keep holding the shift key until you see the Gray Apple and spinning gear. Then let go of the shift key. It may take up to a half hour to start up because the system runs diagnostics and may be repairing. After the computer starts up, restart again without holding any keys.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im not sure cause when i did the firs suggestion , how long do let it sit cause right now it seems to b idling. in fact the curse is underneath the paragraph system uptime in nanoseconds:21449114299.

im in im a soldier in iraq and this is my only moral

can you please help me

Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.
On number 2 starting up in Safe Mode, if it sits more than a half hour or 45 minutes, I would power it off by holding the power key for 5+ seconds. Did the first answer work for you? Did it startup in a Unix black and white text screen? Did the computer say there were problems and they had been repaired?

If these answers didn't work it could be a hardware problem. One way to find out is to insert the system restore/install disk that came with the computer, restart holding the C key and the computer will startup from the CD. If it starts up ok from the CD the problem is software and not hardware. If the computer won't startup from the CD it could be a hardware problem.

Another possible fix is to reset the pram by pressing the power button and immediately hold the

Command Option P R keys

keep holding these keys until you hear 3 startup chimes, then let go. You should then startup normally.
Expert:  Rob replied 4 years ago.
I just now saw that you posted your question again. After reading that one, I see the hang up is when you did solution #1. You should be able to type fsck -f in about 30 seconds after first seeing the black and white screen. If you can't do that, there is some type of problem preventing the computer from allowing you to do that. Do you have your system install/restore disk to do the previous solution?