Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have a Mac Power G4 on Mac 10.4.11. and a PSC 2350 Printer

I have a Mac Power G4 on Mac 10.4.11. and a PSC 2350 Printer I have been using a downloaded HP Installer PSC 2350 v 9.7. I recently had a power failure here in Hawaii and had to reinstall the v 9.7. and the system doesn't work anymore. Could the v 9.7 have a glitch in it or is something else wrong. HP help is hard to get to.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Let's Reset the Printing system and see if we can get the printer to show up again.

Open the System Preferences and then click on Print and Fax.

Click on the Printer Setup button.

In the Printer Setup Utility menu choose Reset Printing System.

Wait for it to finish and then close the windows.

Turn the Printer Off. Make sure the Printer is plugged in, cable is secure at each end.

Turn the Printer back on and wait for it to be ready.

Open System Preferences again and again click on Print & Fax.

Click on the +Plus sign to add the printer.

Does the Printer now show in Printer Setup?
If so click on it.

Does the driver load at the bottom of that window in a menu?
If so, click Add.

If not, we may have an issue with the USB port or the Printer itself. Switch USB ports and look in setup to see if Printer shows up.

If plugged in to a USB Hub, move the cable to a USB port in the Mac itself. Does it now show up?

Let me know if this helps,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Aloha from Hawaii
     Back to square one again. I keep getting the messaga that
there is no printer selected--therefore I can't get to the
printer utility--the printer is turned on and connected and the
computer has been functioning. I still feel that the download to
update my printer is at fault. HP is impossible to get help.

Customer

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Printer Setup Utilitty isted in the Utilities Folder inside the Applications folder.

Go there and open it that way instead. The above method is easier because you end up in Print & Fax anyway.

So go to the Applications folder, open Utilities folder and then open Printer Setup Utility and follow above from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Aloha
     I'd love to give you positive feedback. I had already tried
the utilities before. I tried it again. Still doesn't work. I keep
getting the message that 'there is no printer selected' when it is
connected to the power and computer. I've plugged and unplugged all
that I can find. Incidently, I have to unplug the power to turn the
printer off.
             Allen
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Is unplugging the normal way to turn it off? or do you mean it will not shut off by a switch?

I wonder if we are looking at the wrong machine. Does this printer work otherwise? Can you try it from another computer?

I wonder if the Printer is the one that may have been damaged from the power failure and it never finishes starting up. That may be why it will not turn off. It froze.

I don't know how to test that other than another computer and try to print from there. At least eliminate that possibility. It almost makes sense as the Mac would not load the driver if there was no printer to see in the first place.

Am I on a logical track?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Aloha
     Unplugging the printer power is the oly way to shut it off
right now. The computer was not on during the local power glitch.
The iMac Power PC G-4 is working fine on OS 10.04.11. I have
thought a new driver was in order and that the downloaded
HP PSC 2350 v.9 upgrade would provide it.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

No, I'm putting my money on the printer being the culprit here.

I think it was on during the power glitch and now it freezes on startup, preventing it from showing on the Mac.

That would be my answer.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Aloha
     Thanks but no thanks. I'lldonate a couple pints
to a pretend guru here and hope for the best.
             Sadder but wiser, Allen