Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

i cant send email from my macbook pro

Customer Question

i can't send email from my macbook pro
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

In case you are typing in Optional Info, please excuse my asking questions you may be answering.

What email are you referring to?

What email application do you use? Apple Mail? MS Entourage?

Who is your email service provider? The part after the @ symbol?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I use the email through my ISP on my macbook pro

My email service provider is mail.Customer.com
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for that.

How do you use email on your MacBook? Where are you putting those settings in?

Thats what I need. What application is that?

Mail? Entourage? Thunderbird?

Do you only use webmail like in Safari or Firefox?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I use the mail application on my mac. I don't use entourage or thunderbird

I don't get my email through safari.

I want to be able to use the mail application on my mac.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

That's where I thought you were.

Now, when you are in Mail, and go to Mail menu and choose Preferences. Click on Accounts tab and tell me what it says for your settings.

Don't type in any email addresses, they will get blocked.

Then click on Outgoing servers and then edit the one in there.

What are those settings for the SMTP server?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
use default ports 25, 467, 587

authentication: password

my username:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

my correct password
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

One thing is wrong here.

I cannot find anything related to mail.Customer.com.

All I get is either a religious website or a instruction page for a mail server that looks like it is not running yet.

What is the part after the @ symbol in your email address? See the above post as to why you cannot enter a full address... the site blocks us from seeing it.

Let me know so I can go look for the proper settings for your servers.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
www.Customer.com

the part after the @ symbol isCustomercom

I have no idea why the site would block you from seeing it. It is our church website: www.Customer.com

This website is setup with www.doteasy.com who is my ISP I think...it is who I pay monthly to host my website.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
That's the one.. it's a hosted site.

I knew somehting was wrong here.

OK,
from the setup instructions, you need to use your ISP outgoing mail server, not mail.Customer.com.

So, who is the ISP, the folks who you pay your Internet access bill to? Like Comcast or Verizon?

I need that one now to complete the puzzle.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my ISP to who we pay our bill is SKT (Southern Kansas Telephone) company
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Got it.

Here is the smtp/outgoing email server you need to use for your email to send:
smtp.sktc.net

You will need your email address for the username in the OUTGOING server edit window only, not in the incoming server section.

So, you make sure it is smtp.sktc.net for the server name
Make sure 'Server requires authentication' is set and enter your sktc email address and password XXXXX there only.

Save that window and then test sending an email. That should be it. Your Web Host does not provide sendmail capabilities so this is the solution they recommend.
graphic

Here is the Web Host instructions site
Here is an Outlook Express setup instruction page at SKT. The settings are the same, just where to put them may have different names.

Let me know how it goes.