Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I turn on my iMac and all I get to see is big white screen,

Customer Question

I turn on my iMac and all I get to see is big white screen, and that is all. I leave it on for ten minutes or so, and the all-white sceen stays right there. What do I do? Thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me the exact model/speed/screen size of your iMac?

Has this symptom showed it self before? or is this a first?

Has anything unusual come up recently that made you think " Hmmm? why did it do that?"

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ihave a first generation iMac, with a 24 inch screen. First time this has haoppened.Nothing unusual has happened.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

First generation iMac was along time ago, and they were 15" and made in colors.

There are a few 24" iMacs models so I need a bit more to go on.

Do you have anything like the serial number or more details that can narrow this down for me?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike, the seriel number is XXXXX I am severely disabled and have a tough time with stairs. Does this help?- I bought this self-contained Imac about10 months ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Yes it does, helps a lot.

It is an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
Either 2.8 or 3.06 GHz speed
Came with mac OS X 10.5.2 up to 10.5.4

Great.

Now, let's see what we can figure out.

Did anything precede this in any way? odd noises, fans running fast?
Screen shaking or shimmering? Colors looking odd?

Any error messages that came up that did not make sense?

Any electrical problems recently like Lightning, power outages or brown outs?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last time I turned it on, there was a loud odd beep that lasted three seconds.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Oh, That is the Loading Firmware beep.

Did you get a Software Update notice from Apple and had to restart?

Is it possible something may have been/or is laying on the keyboard?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No notice from apple. Nothing laying on the keyboard. Just a big white screen. Opening music did play first.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

Let's try a utility and see if that works.

Do this:
To run disk checking utility without booting from a CD/DVD do this:

Shut down your Computer.

Turn it back on and hold down the 'Command' and 'S' keys at the same time. Command is the Apple key.

Release the keys when you see a lot of text scrolling up the screen.

When the text stops and the Mac appears to be waiting for something, type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run.

Let it finish. If it returns any errors, make a note of them and then run the command again.

When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return

Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Let me know if anything changes,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike, thanks for your patience, I will try your suggestions. I have faith they will work. I will let you know.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Well, let's hope so!

Please come back here and let me know. If it still gives you trouble, I will keep working until we get it doing what you want it to do...work!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX are a good guy!
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

Let me know,