Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am running a Mac OSX Version 10.3.9 and have been getting

I am running a Mac OSX Version 10.3.9 and have been getting mesages that the start up disks are almost full and another saying the same about the scratch disks, can you tell me how to do this please?
Hello my name is Dan.
What this means is your hard drive is running out of room. Mac OS X reserves some space for operational purposes and scratch disk is where drafts of movies and such are kept temporarily.

You need a bigger hard drive or less stuff or both.

If you like I can tell you what you need but I have to know what Mac you have (iMac, iBook, Mac Pro etc), the age and speed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's an iBook G4 about 7 years old with a 1.33 GHz powerPC G4 Processor. I know what you are saying about them being full what I wast is to get into them to delete some of the unwanted files. sorry I was not more expliset
You can delete any thing that you put in there. Do not delete any thing that you didn't put there or looks like it isn't necessary because you could wind up having to reinstall the OS.
Saved documents can be safely deleted. Movies can, music can, pictures can, just remember that if you didn't put it there leave it there.
Or have a bigger hard drive installed and everything transferred.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the warning of what to delete but can you tell me how to GET INTO the disks to delete the unwanted files
Go to the menu bar at the top of the screen where it says Finder and in the drop down menu select New Window. That should open something like this.graphic

This what a finder window looks like on my machine, yours will look similar but the names of things will be different. The Repository is what I call my hard drive yours will probably be Mac HD and won't have an X by the name.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your graphic will not open But the icon for my Macintosh HD is on my desktop so where do we go from there?
You can not see the graphic I sent you?
Since your hard drive icon is there just double click it and it will open as a finder window.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK what next?
Now just click on documents to see what is in there, the same with movies and pictures and music and the hard drive itself. Hoe it out. but be careful, also you will gain no space at all until you go to the Finder in the menu bar and empty the trash.

You can drag stuff to the trash or control click it and select move to trash from the contextual menu.

Have fun.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Daniel!
You are welcome and Thank you for asking JA.