Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

Im running VMware Fushion 2.0.5 on an iMac. Just upgraded

Customer Question

I'm running VMware Fushion 2.0.5 on an iMac. Just upgraded to Snow Leopard and find that the Start menu periodically freezes for up to a minute, can't open any files, etc., then clears up. Also running StrategyDesk from TDAmeritrade stock charts, same thing, can't select, move anything, then a minute or so later frees up again. Have tried unchecking 3D acceleration in Fusion to no effect.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

I would quit all applications then repair permissions with Disk Utility which is located in the Applications/Utilities folder. Then restart, launch VMFusion Ware and see if it works better then.

If that doesn't work, I would uninstall VMFusion Ware then reinstall it again. The uninstaller is located in the installer that can be downloaded here:

Or you can find the uninstaller in your Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion

Uninstalling then reinstalling doesn't get rid of the virtual machine and when you reinstall VMFusion will pick up where it left off. So, it should be smooth sailing there.

If these steps don't work, restart holding the option key and select Windows as the startup disk and see if you have the same problems booted fully in Windows. If you do, the problem is inside Windows operating system and not VMFusion Ware.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Rob - thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestions but the problem still exists. I noticed though that when if freezes up, if I hit the mouse center button (launch Dashboard) and click again to close (even quickly) it clears it up again - at this point it's a nuisance, hopefully there is a patch forthcoming that will fix it. May consider reverting to previous OS and starting over without Snow.

Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
The Dashboard thing is weird. Good that it brings you back to normal though. Other repair things to perform would be running fsck and starting up in Safe Mode. Here's how:

This is how to do fsck: Restart, as soon as you hear the startup chime hold the Command S keys. You'll get a Unix text screen. When the prompt come up type:

fsck -f

make sure there is a space between k and -. Then hit the return key. When the diagnostics say the computer seems to be ok type:

then hit return and you'll start up back to normal.

This is how to do Safe Mode: Start up in Safe Mode by restarting and as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the shift key. Keep holding the shift key until you see the Gray Apple and spinning gear. Then let go of the shift key. It may take up to a half hour to start up because the system runs diagnostics and may be repairing. After the computer starts up, restart again without holding any keys.

Another thing to try would be to create a new user account by opening System Preferences/Accounts. Click the lock, type your password, then click the plus button to add a new account. Log out of the main account and log in to the new one. Use VMFusion for a while and see if you get the same problem. If you do, it could be a Snow Leopard glitch. If not, it's possible that trashing VMWare Fusion's preferences could solve the problem. VMWare Fusion's preferences are located in the Home/Library/Preferences/VMFusion Ware folder.