YMac
YMac, IT Specialist
Experience:  I have been using Macs for 20 years and have 10 years experience in IT.
13609916

how do I get rid of a bad sector on the harddrive of my old

how do I get rid of a bad sector on the harddrive of my old macbook G4
Category: Mac
Expert:  YMac replied 5 years ago.
On a MAC the way to get rid of bad sectors is to Reinstall Mac OSX on a zeroed startup disk. So you will need to backup your data first off course.

Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc and erase the Mac OS X startup disk using Disk Utility. Use the Security Options to "Zero Out Data" or "Zero All Data" depending on the version of Mac OS X you are using.

- The process of erasing a disk, partition, or volume by writing zeros to every bit on such is called zeroing. Zeroing finds bad sectors and maps them out of service, also known as sparing. When an attempt to write zeros to bad sectors fails, the bad sectors are both marked as occupied in the directory and added to the bad blocks file of the file system. Once the bad sectors have been spared, no attempt will ever be made to read-from or write-to them again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks YMac,

Re the reinstall, is it a matter of putting the disk in the CD rom and restarting in the machine and following on screen instructions?
Expert:  YMac replied 5 years ago.
Yes use the disk in the CD Rom.

Boot the computer while holding the C key on your keyboard to boot from CD > When the computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose "Disk Utility" from the "Installer" menu. You can then erase the partition as described previously making sure to use the Security Option to "Zero Out Data" Once this is done you can proceed to installing the OS from the CD and following on screen instructions.

Let me know how things go.
YMac, IT Specialist
Experience: I have been using Macs for 20 years and have 10 years experience in IT.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks will do