Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Since loading Snow Leopard on my iMac two days ago, I am unable

Customer Question

Since loading Snow Leopard on my iMac two days ago, I am unable to print on the Mac side of my computer (every attempt generates a pause print message - when I delete the job and hit resume print, the screen shows "printer ready").
I run the Fusion program with a copy of Windows XP and when I load that program, I am able to print everything.
How can I resolve the conflict that, I believe, was created when I loaded the Snow Leopard upgrade?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

First, what printer model is this. Specifically.

Second did you check the compatibility list from Apple to make sure it would even work with Snow Leopard?

What version of Fusion?

Are you running the 32 bit kernel? or the 64 bit kernel?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. HP Laserjet 1320
2. I did check the list and this printer is there. I worked with AppleCare on the phone, unloading and reloading the printer and was finally told to contact HP. I registered on the HP support forums and asked my question and saw the dozens of other printer problems being discussed due to Snow Leopard. I put my Snow disc back in and tried to load just the printer option. Nothing.
3. Fusion 2.0 with a copy of XP Professional to run my real estate Windows based programs. I have been told my printer works on the Windows side because Snow Leopard did not affect the driver being used there.
4. Intel Core 2 Duo 32 bit kernel
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for that. Perfect.

Fusion 2.05 I hope, because that is the compatible one. And yes, the printer works in PC side because it is using PC driver.

While with Apple, did they have you Reset the Printing System?

Does the driver show up when you look at the Printer? Or no driver is available to choose?

When you say you chose the Option on the Leopard disk, yu mean the Optional Installs? You did not see the HP software choice?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. VMware Fusion 2.0 (116369) I have not received any update version requests and everything is working fine on that side. I only access three or four real estate sites and have had no problems. Should I go to Fusion site and look for the 2.05?

2. I did reset the printing system, deleting this printer and then reinstalling hoping this would trigger a computer search for the printer and correct driver. No luck.

3. I go to System Preferences, Print & Fax and my printer with picture is there. Under "Options & Supplies" there is the 1320 and below that printed:
        Queue Name: HP_Laserjet_1320_series
        Driver Version: 5.3.0
        URL: usb://Hewlett-Packard/hp%20Laserjet%201320%20series?
                  serial=00CNFC55N02V

4. I did choose Option Installs and when I saw "Printer Options", I clicked. I did not see a HP software choice.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

If it ain't broke... No, wait until they send a message or Fusion says an update is available. If it works there is no reason to modify it.

For reset, did you chose the command Reset printing System? Or just remove the printer and try to add it?

The Print settings look right. Nothing missing there. Have you swapped cables to make sure it is not a bad cable?

Is this printer into a USB hub? or directly into the Mac?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. For reset I removed the printer and then added it back in; I don't know about the Command Reset.

2. The USB cable is plugged directly into the Mac and is a proprietary HP cable with standard usb end for the Mac and square usb for the printer. NOTE: the print screen does say "Printer Ready" and I am printing on the Windows side.

I appreciate all you are doing!
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

Good. With all that is going on over here on my end with multiple questions, I forget some little details. It does print from Windows, so the cable is good.

So, I ask this now...How is it printing from Windows? Usually (at least with Parallels on my Mac) the printer is Shared from the Mac side.

I am wondering if Fusion is the same way. The printer cannot be accessed from the Mac because it and the USB port it is using are busy in Fusion.

Now I don't have Fusion, so I cannot test this, but I bet if Fusion has that setting, and you change it to Share the Mac printer, then they both will print no problem.

Just a thought. I know how Windows can lock stuff up from anything else using it.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the help, I know you need to move on.

When I first loaded Fusion I attempted to keep it open in the dock so I could switch quickly between Mac and Windows. The reason I can't do this is because of the printer. I have to close the Fusion program in order to access the printer back on the Mac side. It's a small inconvenience and has worked for a year now. I will explore the "Share the Mac Printer" in Fusion suggestion to see if this is possible.

I just went back to the Snow Leopard disk and under Optional Installs I found the Printer Support drop down menu and chose All Available Printers and did that load. Still "Pause Print".

I'll keep working on this, I need a printer and I'm very frustrated this has happened. Thanks again,
XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Yes, that is what I now think its the problem.

Fusion has the printer locked up in Windows, and it would be best if it were just sharing the Mac printer.

Let me know how it goes.