Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Im from Sweden so Im sorry for my bad english. My powermac

Customer Question

I'm from Sweden so I'm sorry for my bad english. My powermac G5 will not start up. When I press the power button nothing happen. No LED-lights at all. If I take out the power cord I hear a double click and when I put it back I hear a double click again. If I leave it for a couple of hours the computer more often that not starts like normal and I can use it. BUT, every time I turn the computer off I hear a click inside the computer and if I then push the power button nothing happen. What can be wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bad News ! The components inside your Mac was overheating and also the problem is because of logic board. There is nothing we can do, you must contact Apple as soon as possible, because this problem causes your Mac die. Since this is a hardware issue only Apple can help you.

By the way, you can try the following suggestions...

SMU Reset : Click Here
Reset PRAM and NVRAM : Click Here

Apple Retail Store
Apple Authorized Service Provider

If you have any more questions, please feel free to reply back to this post. Good Luck !

Best Regards,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If you are happy with my answer, please kindly click ACCEPT. If not, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But, when the computer starts after about an hour or two it works great. I can have the computer on for weeks then and it works. If it overheating, why doesn't the mac act strange when I use it? only when I turn it off and try to start it immediately after
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
It because of Logic board...all the issues like this all related to Logic board. There is nothing we can do other than PRAM and NVRAM reset and SMU Reset. Again, you can contact apple before getting the problem worse...
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
And if there is any problem with Power Supply (yes, your 'guess' is right), it will cause the Mac to turn off automatically or not even turn on...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I saw this on Apples website.

"The Power Mac G5 Repair Extension Program for Power Supply Issues applies to Power Mac G5 systems that have power-related issues as a result of a specific component failure within the computer's power supply.

Affected systems will exhibit one of the following power-related symptoms:

System will not start up after the power button is pressed
No LED activity"

(I have no LED-activity)
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay...you don't have the LED activity. Also, some times your Mac is not even turns on after pressing the power button. So, you have two symptoms and i think you're eligible for free service..

If your serial number is XXXXX in this range then you're lucky...you'll get free service from Apple

CK539xxxxxx - CK608xxxxxx
G8539xxxxxx - G8608xxxxxx
YM539xxxxxx - YM608xxxxxx
RM539xxxxxx - RM608xxxxxx

Good Luck !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wrote in the first mail that I didn't have any LED-activity and also that I had reset the SMU on the logic board, why did you suggested to reset the SMU anyway?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Ashik recommended the SMU reset to do it again. There is no harm in doing it twice if a Mac is exhibiting odd behaviors.

As far as the LED activity, when you press the power button and NOTHING happens, not even the LED, it is a power supply issue. As Ashik pointed out it is a very big problem Apple is having with these units and, as he suggested, your best course of action is through Apple at this point.

I repair these Macs myself and from what I have read and he recommended, we are done here. It must be evaluated at an Apple Service Center.

Sorry,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting