Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My clamshell ibook wont boot up - the apple comes on the screen

Customer Question

My clamshell ibook won't boot up - the apple comes on the screen and just spins and spins
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Can you tell me a little more about what is happening?
What Mac OS X version?
What happened just before this happened?
Did you do any updates recently?
What model ClamShell is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i was trying to do a mac tune up

it had been working fine until then

it is a tangerine ibook -I'm not sure what version of Mac OS X -10.3 maybe?

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
OK ten here is what you do.

Original "flavored" iBook and iBook (FireWire) computers

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the AC power adapter.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and release the reset button (shown below) located above the Power button at the base of the display. Use a small, blunt instrument such as a paper clip to press the button.
  5. Wait 5 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the AC power adapter.
  7. Put the battery back in the computer.
  8. Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

HT1431_1.gif

Original "flavored" iBook and iBook (FireWire) reset button

Try that and let me know.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had to go to work. so I will try this when I get home - thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
OK, keep me posted.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no this did not work. it just keeps spinningCry
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
OK, the next thing to do is while the machine is on insert the install disk #1, restart and hold down the 'C' key as soon as the screen goes black. Do not let go until the select language screen appears. Then click continue to get to the installer. Ignore the install window and in the menu bar is Utilities, from that drop down menu choose Disk Utility.
I want you to repair the hard drive first then repair the permissions as illustrated in the picture.

graphic

This is a screen shot of what mine looks like. Yours will have the same look with different names. The repair disk is above the sideways barber pole.
Do that and let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have an install disk - that's the problem..
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Without a disk I can do no more. I suggest an Apple store. They can fix you up quick.
If you can find install CDs not DVDs then we can continue but at this point I am dead in the water.
Sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where would I find install disks?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
If there is a Mac user group in your area (look in the phone book or google it), ask the people at the Apple store, look on eBay, you need 10.2 to 10.4.11. Tiger 10.4.x is best but since you don't have a DVD in that machine you have to have CDs or an external DVD firewire drive.
Let me know how you fare.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks so much
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. Sorry I could not solve the problem.