Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My monitor is on and shows all the initial images, my mouse

My monitor is on and shows all the initial images, my mouse is fine, but my cpu is not responding. The flashing light on the monitor is not on and nothing seems to wok.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Try this first.
Turn the machine off then press and hold down these 4 keys and press the power button to start.
'Option'
'Apple' (between the option and space)
'R' and
'P'
continue to hold them down until you hear 4 start up chimes then let go and finish startup.
If that has no effect then tell me what Mac it is, how old it is and the version of OS X you have and we will go from there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Followed your instructions. First a beep, then 2 chimes and the a message to continue booting I should type mac-boo and press return. It gets me back to a non-responsive cpu. The unit is 5 years old and has been updated you Leopard
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Followed your instructions. First a beep, then 2 chimes and the a message to continue booting I should type mac-boo and press return. It gets me back to a non-responsive cpu. The unit is 5 years old and has been updated you Leopard10.5.6
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Have you installed any RAM other than what came with the machine?
You get one beep and two chimes when resetting the PRAM as described above?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have not installed any additional RAM
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the install disks?
I would like to know what Mac you have, intell or PPC and the OS X version.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have1Mac G5 Mac OSX Install disc 1
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Very good, now insert the #1 disk and restart holding down the 'D' key.
This will boot into the Apple Hardware Test. Do the extended one because you will probably do it any way.
Let me know what if anything it finds.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan,
I put in the disc but the CPU is DEAD so I can't get it to run.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Well that was a quick test.

Since the CPU is dead then it is off to the Apple store or service center for you and the iMac.

There is nothing I can do to resurrect it. Sorry.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.