Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hi, I cant boot from my MacBook using the Tiger 10.4.6 install

Hi, I can't boot from my MacBook using the Tiger 10.4.6 install disk. Just to give you a little background. I bought a used MackBook with Mac OS X 10.4.6. I set it up as a mirror image of my iMac using 10.4.11. When I couldn't connect to my wireless network I decided to erase ( using disk utility) my MacBook's hard drive and then boot from the install disk. Now when I boot from the startup disk I get a message that says "!Alert This software cannot be installed on this computer." What should I do?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
It sounds like you are trying to install an older OS that the machine came with originally. You can go from newer OS to older machine but not the other way.
There are a couple of things you can do.
1- Get Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper on the iMac then start the MacBook in target mode by holding down the 'T' when starting, connect the two with a firewire cable and clone the iMac to the MacBook.
2- Get a newer version of 10.4, 10.4.9 might be high enough or not. Since it had 10.4.11 you may have to go that high.
3- Borrow someones install of Tiger 10.4.11 and use that. You want the retail version or the MacBook version because while sometimes a gray OS X disk will work most times it won't. for Carbon Copy for SuperDuper.

Have fun.