Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Hi, ive changed my macs name on the system preferences, sharing

Customer Question

Hi, i've changed my mac's name on the system preferences, sharing menu. when i have shut down then restarted my mac all files that i previously held on iphotos, etc have disappeared. am i able to recover these? when i open the finder window the home icon is still named Useruser, not the name i have renamed my mac. I hope you can help?!?! thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

There is a BIG difference in the Mac name and the user name. Both are distinctly unique and do different things.

The Usernames, especially the shortname are very important to the OS for keeping track of ownership and permissions.

The disk name and the computer name, 2 different items are simply for paths to files/folders (disk name) and network identification (computer name).

To change the username is XXXXX XXXXX deal and is not recommended by Apple because of the implications it can have on the files/apps/ownership, etc...

If you have a username that is useruser and it was not that before, something drastic may have happened and you may need to create a new user with the proper name/password XXXXX then migrate/delete that user.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry but this answer hasn't helped me, as there was no solution offered. i have since spoken to a mac specialist in person who has resolved the problem.

thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

You never replied so I had no idea what else to try. We go back and forth here trying different things and the lack of a response leaves us with a first guess.

Glad it is working.