Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

Iphoto error code 10657, what is it and how can I correct it

Iphoto error code 10657, what is it and how can I correct it? I was trying to restore some pictures from backup external hard drive.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Let's try 2 things and see what happens.

First, repair Permssions. I read about this error and most seem to fix it by repairing or modifying permissions.

Do this:
Go to your Go menu in the Finder
In here, choose Utilities.
In the Utility folder, open Disk Utility
Click on First Aid tab and then click on Repair Permissions.

Wait for it to finsih, it will take a while and appear to hang. It isn't hung, just going through 100's of thousands of files.

When it completes, Quit Disk Utility. Try your task again.

If it still acts up,
go to your Applications folder. Click once on the actual (not alias) iPhoto application icon and then go to the Fie Menu and choose Get Info.
Click on the section called Sharing & Permissions.
graphic

If the section is grey, click the lock and enter your Admin password.

Look at the permissions for this app. It should look like mine in pic above. If not we need to change it.
Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
permissions is still running. just to make sure that i was doing it (trying to restore the backed up photos, do i double check on the last update and drag iphoto into the icon on the dock? when i did that before, 3,000+ pictures of crazy stuff was imported, none of it was my pictures.

thx for your help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike, the "get info" is grey and i didn't see "lock" that you referred to.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

It is at the very bottom of that Get Info window. In my pic above it shows as unlocked.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am doing something wrong, becuz I don't get the iphoto info like your picture above.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

What does it look like?

Can you get a screen shot for me?

Do you see the toolbar above the typing area you use to reply to me?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, i do see the toolbar. i do i get a screen shot for you. Also are you able to call me so we can talk voice to voice, it might be much quicker.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my last reply was suppose to say "how do i get a screen shot for you"?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mike, I was in the wrong application i was not clicking on the backup drive. now i did and it looks like yours, now what? :-)
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

After all that typing I see your response. Good, you see what I wanted.

So, it looks like mine that is good, the App is not causing this.

Where are these files coming from? Where are they now that you are getting them from and then getting this message?

Are you dragging them into iPhoto window? Tell me what steps you are taking.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am clicking on one of the back up dates, then click on the hard drive, the drag iphoto into the iphoto on the dock at the bottom of the screen. it begins to load/import 3,800+ pictures, shapes, etc, but not my pictures.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Is this a Time Machine backup? or is it a Backup app backup?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
time machine.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok,

You don't drag anything.

You click on what you want and then click on Restore button.

If you drag it, then you get errors because Time Machine is supposed to move and replace things for you.

Also, is this an entire Library you are trying to recover? or just a few photos? Were they already in the Library? or were they laying about in a folder?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i think i am trying to restore the entire iphoto library on the backup disc. i clicked on the time machine on the dock, moved to the first back up, on the left side, i click application, then iphoto and restore. it shows that some files are being moved/restored to applications, but when it finishes and click on iphoto on the dock the restored pictures are not there.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

You are clicking on Applications. All it is doing is replacing the iPhoto app.

You need to go to the User folder (your home, has your name on it) then into the Pictures folder. In there will be the iPhoto Library. That's what you need to restore.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when i go into my home, i am clicking on the pictures folder, then iphoto library. all it does is bring up a gray screen, which says last date modified. the restore button is not available for me to push.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
also, if i go to a specific date of a backup, the home icon is grey.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Odd, It is NOT backing up your Home?

That's the whole purpose of this.

If you go back a few days, is it gray in all the dates?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
now, when i click on the time machine on the dock, it shows the desktop, with no prior backup dates at before.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm.

Go to another folder, like the Documents folder then click open a folder in there.

Now clcik on Time Machine to open it again.

Do you still see no backups?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope, no backup dates. :-(
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hmmmm.

Bad news then. For some reason, your TM is not backing you upe.

Go to the Apple Menu and choose System Preferences.

Click on Time Machine pref pane

What does it say in there? Is it on? Is the backup drive selected?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, it is on and did a back up at 4:17a-pst, 7:17a-est
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Weird.

Then why it isn't showing anything in the Time Machine app to restore I am unsure of.

I just checked mine to be sure it was working and to tets soemthing and I found I have the same problem. Nothing shows beyond today.

And my TM said I backed up at 7:32am.

But I updated to Snow Leopard a few days ago and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. have you upgraded your Mac?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, not since about 3-4 months ago. but last week, the hard drive crashed and i had a new one put in.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Did you restore from TM?

Or was it another type of restore? Or a clean install?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
clean install. it was because of the new install, that i was trying to get my pictures.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Oh,

Now I get it.

Your hard drive has changed. it is no longer the drive that was backing up before.

That's why nothing is showing up. If you had done a clean install and then retored from the Time machine during the Install, it would hav had all your stuff AND kept backing up.

That's what that error means... you don't have permission to see/have those items.

Bummer. Who did the replacement/re-install?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a computer guy that i had to leave at least 5 messages for. is there in way that i can shut the computer down and start up using the backup drive?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

No, it does not work that way.

What you can do is try to use the Migration assistant to see if it will restore your stuff from TM.

To do that, go to the Applications folder and then into the Utilities folder.

Open Migration Assistant.

Click continue and enter your Password.

Click on From a Time Machine backup.
graphic
Click Continue. See if it allows you to restore the items you need from that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it said it transferred the information, but i still don't see my old pictures or documents in word, etc. any more suggestions, i have been up all night literally and have to go to work now?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Without seeing what is going on, I can't say I can do any more.

I need to be hands-on with a Mac like this and that is not possible with our system here.

Unfortuately I have to say you may need to start leaving messages with your local Mac tech or make an appointment with the Genius Bar at an Apple store and see if they have anything to recommend.

If you take it in, make sure to include the backup drive so they can see your TM stuff as well.

Sorry. Hope it goes well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for alllllllllllllllll of your suggestions and assistance. is there any way that i could let you know the results once everything is fixed?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
hi,

no problem.

just come back here and reply to this question when you get it resolved.

mike
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting