Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I work with CR2 photo files all the time on my 2yr old MacBookPro.

Customer Question

I work with CR2 photo files all the time on my 2yr old MacBookPro. Today I brought some work home on a DVD which I restored with the roxio/toast program and adobe CS3 is still saying it can not open because it does not recognize the file. I can see all of them just fine in IView plus Finder but they will not open in Preview or Adobe. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you soooo much.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Can you look at one of thse files in the Finder.

Then choose get Info (command- I) from the File menu.

Look at the name & Extension section. Click the reveal traingle if need to show the section.
What does it say the full name of that file is, with the . extension included?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
001.CR2 thats the full name in there.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

What an odd name.

Well, that extension, the part after the dot, is really wrong.

It needs to be something like .jpg, or .tif.

It would depend on what format they are, thent eh extension needs to match that format.

How were these files put on the DVD?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been working with CR2 files for years. They are canon photo files. I dragged the files to the Toast program and burned them spanned on two DVD's. This has happened before and only when it's a DVD that I did not burn on my Macbook.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ahhh, Canon fiiles. Ok that makes sense.

Were these burned on a PC?

It sounds like you can get them to work if burned from a Mac? If so, do you have a Mac burned disk to look at and compare the file types/extensions?

Maybe there is a clue there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Burned on an IMac.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Oh, I don't know why I thought you wrote PC.

Must be too many questions I'm dealing with.

So, burned on the iMac, can't read them. Burn on MacBook, can read them.

What software to burn with? Finders 'Burn'? Or Toast onto ISO/Data disks?