Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Mac OSX version 10.6 Under Shared in finder there is something

Mac OSX version 10.6
Under Shared in finder there is something called
cbird.sextracker.com
I can not remove it.
This is a computer that has been used by a lot of teenagers.
What can I do? Thanks.
Larry
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

When you say Shared under Finder, do you mean the Shared section in the Finder Sidebar of a Finder window?

Do you need ANY shared items showing there?

Are there other computers on your Network? Is this a lab?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In the side bar of finder there is a heading called "devices", then under it is heading called "shared", under shared is a heading called "places", and under that is the heading of the user name. I am talking about the heading "shared" in the side bar. Under that heading is an item called internalcheck.apple.com. There is another called cbird.sextracker.com, which I want to remove. I know from the internet that this is some type of spyware maybe. This is not a lab, just a home, and there have been a lot of kids (friends of kids) who have used this computer. I would like to remove this item but I can not, a message comes up telling me I can not move it to the trash. I am on my wive's username for your service (rhonda38), but it is my email hooked up to the account. Thanks.
Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh, and under shared it has a sub-heading "All", and the item is under that. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok,

But do you NEED to have Shared showing there at all?

We can just turn that off. Shared shows things on your Network that are being shared to you. It could be a local machine in your house, another MAC/PC or it could be a Cable router not working correctly showing a neighbors Mac/PC.

But if you don't need to see anything shared, then we jsut remove that heading. then it will not matter what is listed there, it just will not show.

To remove it, go to the Finder Menu and choose Finder Preferences. Click on the Sidebar tab at the top.
graphic

Uncheck each Shared item in the list until the name disappears. That is the type of share it was. You can turn the others back on if you want.

Close that window and the name is gone.

The Finder gives you an error because you cannot remove it. It is somewhere else, not on your Mac

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi thanks, I did what you said. If I uncheck any of the three showing categories under shared both items disappear. If I then check any of the three, both items return. I want to make sure that I am disconnected from that one, and not lose my ability to put my son's computer on the network at home. The item internalcheck.apple.com exissts on my computer as well. The item cbird.sextracker.com does not. I want to remove that so he is not connected to anything like that. I don't just want to have it not showing, but get rid of it without losing network capabilities. Is that possible? Thanks.
Larry
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

You are not losing any network capabilities. This simply removes it from that list.

To connect to anythng, you just use the Go menu and choose Connect to server, then hit the Browse button. When you see what you want to connect to click on it, then save it as a Favorite and it will be in the Connect to... window for easy connecting.

I am unsure about where those are coming from. It's a little unsettling seeing something like that. But unusual as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your help. I figured out how to disconnect from it. I went into security options and turned on the firewall (default for Snow Leopard is off), then checked the other boxes that put me into "stealth mode". I then restarted the computer and it was gone. I have since gone back and turned off stealth mode, but left the firewall on, and it has not returned but the network is still working. I did some research online, and I guess you can get that cookie from many different sites, not just porn sites. So I won't come down on the kids using it. Terrible that you can't just remove it easily. Thanks again, if anyone else has the problem this worked for me.
Larry
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

I never use the Firewall. Thanks for the tip.

It does basically the same thing, but allows you to keep your list in the Finder.

Good work catching that one.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting