Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I am trying to log onto my macbook, but because I am not at

Customer Question

I am trying to log onto my macbook, but because I am not at my school plugged into the network I acn't log on at all....How do I log on????
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
How do you login at school? Is it into a Novel Network? Or the school server?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Dan!

I normally log on to my mac at my school. It is saying that the network cannot be found. Last time this happened with another laptop, I had to go back up to the school and log on while connected, THEN they had to make me an administrator on my laptop. I am no longer with that school, so I dont know where to begin.

f

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Wow, nice of them to lock you out of your own Mac.
You can't make yourself an administrator if you are not one to start with.
There are two ways to fix it.

1 You have to contact the school and get the admin password XXXXX you can change the account settings. The same way you had to the last time. What school would do that anyway, I understand because of the school network but that has nothing to do with a personal account.
XXXXXdestroys all your personal data, pictures and everything. You reinstall the entire system wiping the previous contents of the drive. If you don't care then this is the fastest way to do it.

Because it is a network login to use the Mac instead of a on the Mac account you may not have much to lose.
It does require install disks to reinstall.
Sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, that's one of the reasons i am not with the school, DIRTY. If I choose the second option, would i need to reinstall all my programs as well?? My disk was cracked....can I call apple care to purchase another?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Yes, if you are going to buy a new one and you have Leopard then I would spend the 30.00 and get Snow Leopard.
If you had Tiger 10.4 I would still get 10.6, it will cost a bit more but I really like it.
It does mean that the whole disk is wiped clean and you start over just like it is a new machine.
This is one thing that you can do to save the data that you want is to start your Mac in target mode by holding down the 'T' key and start it up, connect it to another Mac with a firewire cable. Now your Mac is the same as an external hard drive and you can drag what you want from it to the other Mac.
Then do the install.
Good luck on a better school.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So dumb question, BUT the reinstall disk is different from the snow leopard, so I'd need both?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
No, Snow Leopard is a stand alone install or it is an upgrade, your choice but you do not need the old Leopard disk to do it.
In your case you want to erase and install. I am not sure about additional software like iLife and such, I think that is all on disk 2, ask the rep when you order to make sure just in case I am wrong. Never hurts to confirm.