Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have used Microsoft Excel )Office 2008) on Mac OS X in a

Customer Question

I have used Microsoft Excel )Office 2008) on Mac OS X in a new Imac for a couple months with no provlem.
Now it starts with file open attempt and failure, requiring click to accept failure, whereupon the same process continues - ad infinitum, if I had the patience. (The first time this happened, it was accompanied by VoiceOver.)
I have reinstalled Excel, restarted the computer numerous times, and tried to re-install os x, but failed.
When the computer recovered from this effort - possibly the result of a bad install disc - I searched for help and found you.

HELP!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")

"I have reinstalled Excel, restarted the computer numerous times, and tried to re-install os x, but failed."
  • You said that, you had tried to re-install OS X..So,did you reinstalled OS X ?
  • I hope you have the installation disks. Right ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I said, I tried to re-install os x, but failed. possibly the result of a bad install disc.
I also said that I have reinstalled Excel.
So, to answer your second question, yes, I have the discs.
I need to know hoe to stop the following activity: Excel starts with file open (of random types of files) attempt and failure, requiring me to click to accept failure, whereupon the same process continues - ad infinitum, if I had the patience. (The first time this happened, it was accompanied by VoiceOver.)
I have turned the computer on and off, and so forth.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Lets try to reset the Preferences of Excel. So close office applications including Excel.

Goto ~/User/Library/Preferences/ and trash com.Microsoft.excel.plist (Don't Empty the trash)

Goto ~/User/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/ and trash the whole folder Office2008 (Don't empty the trash)

Also delete the normal template..

Goto /Users/username /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/ and trash "Normal.dotm"

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ashik,
The Library on my hard drive (MacintoshHD) did not have "com.Microsoft.excel.plist", so I tried the actions you suggested in the "Library" within the main "Places" folder ("Soula") – which holds all the file folders and files I have created, and I was able to go to "MacintoshHD /Soula/ Library/ Preferences/" and trash "com.Microsoft.excel.plist".

Using the above route I was able to go to "MacintoshHD /Soula/ Library/ Preferences/ Microsoft/" and trash the whole folder "Office2008", as you also suggested.

As an "Application Support" folder did not exist in the "Library" folder used above, I attempted to delete the normal template in the "Application" folder under "Places" by going to "MacintoshHD/ Library/ Application Support/ Microsoft/ Office/ User Templates/" and trash "Normal.dotm" , which was not done, as instead of "Office/", there is "Office Converter Support/", no "User Templates" and no "Normal.dotm", only the following folders in Office Converter Support;
"MindVision
SmartArt.framework
Open XML for Excel.framework
Open XML for Excel
Open XML for Charts
OfficeArt.framework
MSXML.framework
MicrosoftOleo.framework
MicrosoftOLEAutomation.framework
MicrosoftOLE.framework
MicrosoftOffice.framework
MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework
MicrosoftChartPlugin.framework"

What now?
Roy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ashik,
The version of Office is the 2008 Home, Student Edition, which might explain the difference.
Roy
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
hmm...that may be the difference.

There is a chance that the problem is related to your current user account..So we can try to create new account and see if that helps.

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account.

If the problem is solved with new account then delete the old account...
Before deleting old account copy all important files from it..
So goto ~/Users/[youroldaccount]/ and copy all important files like Pictures, iTunes music, Documents and everything except Library folder into a safe place.

Then Goto System Preferences/Accounts, from the left column select the old account and press the minus (-) button. You'll be warned before deleting the account. If you can see a option to keep files then choose it and continue.

Don't delete any files..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ashik,
I did as you recommended - short of deleting the old user and copying all files from my external drive, where I had backed everything up.
Excel worked in the new user.
I quit and restarted, opening in the old user, to test Excel once again.
The old problem still existed.
I clicked O.K. on each of the appearing "File not completely loaded" boxes until they stopped loading (about 20+) and I could see that I had some control.
I deleted all the automatically loaded files, and went to look at Excel Preferences. There I saw that I had recently set "Show this number of recent documents" to 10 (for reasons I can not recall).
I changed this to zero and restarted the computer, choosing the old user again.
Now Excel started up in correct fashion.
It appears that Excel at least doubled the amount of files in "Show this number of recent documents", as I'm sure I let it load way more than ten previously and I couldn't get control.

I did not mind doing the extra work you recommended, as it was good learning experience.
Now you have had a good experience as well, which I'm sure you will use more often than I.
In order to see that you get paid for your time and effort, I believe I should click the accept button, correct?

Roy
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
WOW ! You're a Genius ! Thanks for teaching me a new method. Appreciated...

Only click accept if you are satisfied with my answer.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ashik,
The amount will be that which I 'contracted' for ($18) previously, correct?
Roy
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi Roy,

Yes...$18 is the agreed amount.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Ashik.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for Accepting my answer. Have a great day !

Best Regards,