Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

cant remember password on iphone & it is now locked. what

can't remember password XXXXX iphone & it is now locked. what to do??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have iTunes installed on your computer ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Since it is locked and if you don't know the password, you must restore it. Once the restoration is completed, you can re-sync it.

Connect your iPhone and open Itunes. Press the restore button under Summary Tab. This should restore your iPhone and you can use it again (you may need to resync it). If it didn't worked then you need to restore your iPhone's Firmware through DFU Mode(Device Firmware Update)

• Turn off your iPhone.
  • Hold down the power and home button.
  • When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
  • Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode. (or recovery mode)
  • Then restore your iPhone by clicking Restore button under Summary Tab

The restoration process may take time and need Internet Connection to download the firmware. The firmware may be approximately have 230 MB (May be your iPhone will automatically updated into iPhone OS 3.0). After restoration completed resync it. iTunes will automaically asks you to use your iPhone as a new phone or restore from backup. So choose "Restore from backup" and it will automatically restore your contents.

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried to connect the iphone to my pc, but it isn't being seen by itunes. the phone has the apple logo on the screen but won't go any farther??
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Ok..then you can enter the phone into DFU Mode and then restore it.

• Turn off your iPhone. You can turn off it by holding the power button. (Make sure it is turned off)
  • Connect your phone into your computer.
  • Now Hold down the power and home button at the same time.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when I push the power button it doesn't turn off. sometimes the apple log dissapears for a half second then comes back
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
First leave the phone for 5 minutes...then hold down the power key. Once the apple icon dissappears, immediately release the power key. It should turn off.

You have to be very patient ! (Keep trying till it turn off)

(only click Accept after it worked)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i haven't tried hold the button until the apple goes away. i have held it for several seconds & nothing happens. approx how long do i need to hold the power button down?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You have to hold down the power button until it automatically turns off.

(only click Accept after it worked)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, held it until the apple icon dissapeared & then released. it immediately came back
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Keep trying until it turns off...

Or hold downboth the home button and power button, when the apple icon appears relase the power key but keep holding down the home button. Keep trying till you get the iPhone's screen like the image below.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I held down the power & home until the apple logo disappeared then released the power button & held the home until the above image appeared. now what?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
To make sure, does the same image appeared on your iPhone ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
If so, then open iTunes and connect your iPhone. Wait for it to tell you that your iPhone is in restore mode. (or recovery mode). Then restore your iPhone by clicking Restore button under Summary Tab.
graphic
(only click Accept after it worked)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I finally got it back working but now it's locked to ATT - again??? do you have any way to unlock it for use with other companies. it is not a 3g, but an older 8G version
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
There is a free utiltiy called Redsn0w. It will easily help you to unlock in 4 easy steps. (You may also need to Jailbreak it to unlock it).

Download Redsn0w from here
Download iPhone's Firmwire 3.0 from here

Now follow these steps..
Connect your iPhone and open Itunes and then you need to need to restore your iPhone's Firmware through DFU Mode(Device Firmware Update)
  • Turn off your iPhone.
  • Hold down the power and home button.
  • Then press and hold Shift key on keyboard and click on the Restore button on iTunes which is under Summary Tab.
  • iTunes will ask you to select the firmware..so choose the Firmware 3.0 that you downloaded earlier and click restore. This should restore your iPhone.
  • Once the restore is completed you'll get same error about activating it.
  • Now open Redsn0w and follow the onscreen instructions.
  • Jailbreaking will take 10-30 minutes...
  • Once the jailbreak is completed re-sync it from iTunes and don't update your iPhone using iTunes.
  • Fore more info, Click Here
  • Now unlock it !

Unlock iPhone 3.0

1. Once your iPhone is jailbroken, open Cydia.

2. Add repo666.ultrasn0w.com to your sources

3. Install ultrasn0w, and reboot!

4. Now your iPhone should be unlocked.

Best Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If not, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc