Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

In order to receive wireless internet in my new apartment I

In order to receive wireless internet in my new apartment I needed to connect a Belkin wirelss router to the landlord's modem. Installation was successfully completed. I have tested 4 Dell and Hewlett Packard laptops and received a strong signal and internet connect. But when I tried my MAC OS X (10.3) desktop I got no signal at all nor did any existing wireless networks appear (???). My question is: Is there a compatibility problem for my MAC w/ the Belkin wireless router? The internet is loaded with similar questions.
Bob MOntgomery

There could be.

If your Mac is using an older Airport card that only supports wireless B and the Router is setup to only provide G and N speeds, then that airport card cannot see or use any networks unless B is supported.

Another possibility, and this happens sometimes, is if the antenna cable comes loose then the card has no ability to see anything unless it it about 5-10 feet away.

I think that since it is a Mac OS X 10.3 system, it quite possibly is old enough to have aa B Airport card in it.

We can find out.

Let me know,