Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I want to change my Lacie drive from Read only to Read/Wri

Customer Question

I want to change my Lacie drive from Read only to Read/Write
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you want this drive to use in Macs only ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
I think the hard drive need to be formated inorder to apply the Read and Write abilities.
We can try without formatting the hard drive. So, right click (Control + click) on the hard disk (Lacie) icon on the desktop, choose "Get Info". From the get info window, you can see permission settings on the bottom. So choose "Read and Write" in all accounts and close it. Now try to copy something into it and see that if the problem still there..

(only click Accept after it worked)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No I've tried that already and it doesn't work. I can see that it says under ownership and permissions that : You can only read
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
quick question:

Is that is a new one ?

Did you used it earlier without problems ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it's not new.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, I have work on it as well. I used to work at a tv station and one of the engineers reformatted it for me. Then put back what they had taken off.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
I think that engineer formatted the hard disk in DOS Partition. Mac OS only allow Read ability in DOS partition (for external hard disks). So all you have to do is, reformat the hard disk back into Mac OS Partition. Before formatting copy all contents of your external into your Mac to avoid loss of data. Once the format is completed, copy all them back to it.

You can format it easily...
  • Goto ~/Applications/Utilities and open DiskUtility
  • Now connect your hard drive into your Mac
  • Select the external Hard Disk you wish to format at the left column
  • Click on the Erase tab
  • At the “Volume Format” select “Mac OS Journaled/Extended”
  • If you confirm to format your hard disk, Click on “Erase” button.
  • If the erase process finished, your external hard disk is ready to use for Mac. (Warning : This will remove all your data from your hard disk, so don't forget to make backup before erasing)

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it's not the info I wanted. I know I can reformat it but I don't want to have to wait for all my data to transfer and then reformat the Lacie drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
I have one more suggestion....Goto ~/Applications/Utilities and open DiskUtilities. Select the Lacie HD from the left column. From there, "Repair Disk" and "Repair Permission"

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did think of that and tried but disk permission was not being offered
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Okay..i'm out ideas. I will opt out and other experts will help you. Sorry !

Best Regards,
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Can you do a Get Info on that drive again and this time lok in the top section and tell what the format type is?
graphic

I think I know what is causing this, but need to make sure.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it says Windows NT Filesystem
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

There is no way with out copying and re-partitioning the Drive as an Apple Filesystem.

Or maybe using a NTFS software utility to allow read/writes.
NOTE: I DO NOT recommend this solution. There is the possibility of data loss if it is not perfect or fails. Use at your own risk. I am NOT saying to use this.

Macs have never had the ability to read/write to these drives, only read.

Once a new Mac partition is established, you will have full control over it again. I know you do not want to do al that copying, but it will be worth it to prevent a possible glitch that destroys your data.

Hope this clears it up.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had a sinking feeling that this was the only way. thanks anyway
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
No problem.

Thanks! for the Accept and please come back if you need us again.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have moved my data on to my hard drive and now am looking at using disk utility to reformat my drive. when I get to the part, choosing the volume format, I choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but below it asks if I want to install Mac OS 9 Disk Driver it goes on to say that this option to use this device on a computer running Mac OS9. And also this does not effect Classic.
I have had this drive for a while now, and I wanted to keep using it but I am about to upgrade my G5 to a Mac Pro with Leopard. I'm running Tiger ? 10.4.11
I didn't tick that box but will the Lacie still work ?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Yes.

Those setting are mostly if you want to Boot from that drive with an OS X installed on it.

If all you are doing is using it in Classic mode and OS X, then either format, GUID or Apple File will work fine. Checking install mac OS 9 drivers is for when you actually restart your Mac and boot from OS 9. then you need that option checked to see the drive in OS 9. But not needed for Classic.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I ended up doing in as Mac OS Extended Journal. Do you think that was the right thing to do? I'm not going to be booting off of it.
I'm in Sydney Australia so sorry about the time delay
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Yes. You did good. It will work perfectly now.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX accept they are telling me this is an additional question and that i should pay more. I thought this was still the same question?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Nope. You accepted already.

You are good to go.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome

And thanks for the Accept!