Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I am trying to connect my Linksys Ultra range plus N to my

Customer Question

I am trying to connect my Linksys Ultra range plus N to my Macbook PRO and I can't get pass "connect the router to an outlet"? Help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to get you up and running.
First I need some background.
Please explain in as much detail as you can the following.
What is telling you to 'connect router to outlet'?
What ISP you have and the type (DSL, Cable, dial up. satellite)?
The speed and version of Mac OS on the MBP.
Do you have the instructions for the LinkSys?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The CD that is supplied with the router.
Don't know what an ISP is?
I have DSL (I'm directly connect to a phone line but I'm pretty sure it is not dial up.
Not sure what MBP is? but I am running Mac OS X the Processor is 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
I have the set up device CD are those the instruction you are talking about?
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
The documentation is on the disk and there should be a booklet with the Linksys.
MBP is MacBook Pro.
ISP is internet service provider.
DSL is dedicated service line.
Plug the ethernet cable into the WAN port on the Linksys and the other end into the DSL modem. Unplug the modem and wait 10 seconds then plug it back in.
This resets the modem so it can see the router.
Now if you have another ethernet cable it will make this a little easier.
Plug one end into the ethernet port on the MBP and the other into any open port on the Linksys.
On the MBP launch Safari and in the address bar type in this set of numbers.
Make sure the dots are dots not commas.
If that number doesn't open the Linksys setup page then in the booklet will be a number that has the last two numbers different.
Once there it will ask for password, in the lower box type 'admin' without the quotes and press return.
Make sure that anything you do here is really what you want to do or you could make it into a paperweight.
The only thing you want to set is wireless security. I suggest WPA personal. Use a password XXXXX is easy for you and hard for others and keep a record of it for future reference.
The same goes for the login password. Think about that one for a while.
Let know if you aren't clear on this or if you are.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did like you said but when I tried to launch Safari it said that I was not connected to the Internet. To repeat your instructions I connected the yellow Internet cable from my DSL to the router and a blue cable (that came with the router) from the router to my MBP and I disconnected the modem from the electric outlet for 10 seconds like you said.
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
One thing I should have mentioned is to unplug the router also.
Plug in the DSL first then the router. Give it some time to get to know each other and then try Safari.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been so frustrasted trying to hook up this router that I had to take a couple days to cool down. I hooked everything up like you said AGAIN just now and when I try to launch Safari I get the same answer "Not connected to the Internet". Can I use Firefox enter the ?
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Yes Firefox is fine. I am sorry I did not tell you this. The 192 number is XXXXX router address only and does not connect you to the internet. It only gets you into the settings for the router.